How’s your AC in the summer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tl01

Reaction score
I’m wondering how the expedition air conditioner performs in extreme summer heat. Also, does it have one or two condensers/compressors?

Plati

Reaction score
My 2003 took me on a roasting cross country trip and worked great. Going across Nebraska in August I think it was well over 90. Felt bad for those on bikes. Never had any service on it since new in 2003.

My 2014 has taken me on multiple trips roasting with no issues.

I guess I'm pushing my luck and should not have made these statements

OP
OP
T

tl01

Reaction score
My 2003 took me on a roasting cross country trip and worked great. Going across Nebraska in August I think it was well over 90. Felt bad for those on bikes. Never had any service on it since new in 2003.

My 2014 has taken me on multiple trips roasting with no issues.

I guess I'm pushing my luck and should not have made these statements

I worry about the newer ones...since day 2016. I have noticed that some vehicles have trouble cooling as well in extreme heat bc of changes in the refrigerants. Older well maintained AC systems are awesome.

Plati

Reaction score
I worry about the newer ones...since day 2016. I have noticed that some vehicles have trouble cooling as well in extreme heat bc of changes in the refrigerants. Older well maintained AC systems are awesome.
Not sure the newest juice 1234yf is much less cooling capability (and I am far from an expert or even knowledgeable) ... But is is more expensive and requires MUCH higher system pressure. Pressure means its trying to escape way way more aggressively. Is that a concern?

JohnT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Drove mine down to Flagstaff in August, over the Hoover dam in 45C, Grand Canyon to Vegas in +40C, never an issue.

But I was on vacation so typically motoring along which always helps the AC dissipate heat. But even pootling around Vegas on the strip and general slow poke driving while sight seeing in the Grand Canyon during 43-45c temps no issue. And that was fully loaded with 5 and luggage.

OP
OP
T

tl01

Reaction score
Drove mine down to Flagstaff in August, over the Hoover dam in 45C, Grand Canyon to Vegas in +40C, never an issue.

But I was on vacation so typically motoring along which always helps the AC dissipate heat. But even pootling around Vegas on the strip and general slow poke driving while sight seeing in the Grand Canyon during 43-45c temps no issue. And that was fully loaded with 5 and luggage.

Thank you for sharing that! Glad to hear while driving slowly it wasn’t an issue!

Plati

Reaction score
Don't know if its a controls or an ac driven result ... But when I slow down in town vs interstate car warms up and I have to turn temp down ....... 2014EL

OP
OP
T

tl01

Reaction score
Don't know if its a controls or an ac driven result ... But when I slow down in town vs interstate car warms up and I have to turn temp down ....... 2014EL

My minivan does that. And the minivan I had before that. One was a 2014 and the current one is a 2018. There is nothing wrong with the systems I am told. I am hoping this scenario doesn’t play out on my expedition.