How can I tell if my body has been lifted?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On my new 2000 XLT, the body seems higher, but I can't definitively tell.

A few clues are that looking into the rear wheel well, I can see over the frame a little easier than on my 98. Also, it looks like the motor is sitting lower, however the 2k is a 4.6L and the 98 is a 5.4L. Lastly, the 2k came with some big knobby tires and I switched the wheels and tires with the 98 and the fronts rub at full lock, and they didn't on the 2k.

Though all of these could be sagging suspension, differences between the years and/or different motors.

Is there a definitive spot to check or something to measure?

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at the body mounts. If it has been lifted, besides the the normal bushings, there would be a spacer as well. Depending on how big the spacer would determine the body lift if it has them.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Expeditionary

Full Access Members
Reaction score
is there a gap between your tow hitch and your bumper?
can you see through the truck when looking at the rear fender wells?
are your frame horns exposed on the front?
if you look in your front fender well on the drivers side, move the little flap on the left (you may not even have to move it) and you will see a body mount, if it has a little 1.5" bushing and nothing else, then its not lifted, if there's a 2 or 3 inch block on top of that bushing you have a body lift.
If you answered yes to any of the above questions congratulations, you have a body lift!

catmaster25

Reaction score
3 inch body lift

Please can someone tell me how to lift my 97 expedition3 inches, body lift. I got springs in the back, but not the front... It's 4wd. Are people referring to these springs I see as COILS?

catmaster25

Reaction score
im just dumb lol

I went to a shop but they said the online 3" body liftdt won't work with my suv, but if it will please let me know and that will be what I do

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
I don't know why a 3 inch body lift wouldn't work for your Expy... I have one. They are just being lazy. It's very labor intensive, and they probably don't want the hassle. And yeas, the springs in the back are what we refer to as coils. For a quick easy 3 inches.... Add coil spacers to the back, and do a torsion twist or crank on the front. You'll get almost 2 inches of lift for free in the front by doing that. The coil spacers will run you anywhere from $50 to $80 on Fleabay. Loads of threads to doing both of them on this site if you want to do a search.

Last edited:

catmaster25

Reaction score
thanks for the info

Badass expedition bro. Yeah I will do all the mods myself. I'm just not that much of a know it all when it comes to this. I love how you guys help out with all info. I am ready for that lift lol

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69