How common are Variable Valve Timing Issues - Phaser Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Airfix

Reaction score
I've been chasing a loss of power problem on a 2016 expedition that I've only owned 6 months (80,000 miles total), that I described here:

To this date I've done most of the work myself. I replaced the MAP sensor and based on the dealers diagnostic I replaced the fuel pressure sensor. Nothing fixed the loss of power issue. Note the power loss doesn't always happen. Sometimes the car works fine.

After the fuel pressure sensor change I took it to an independent shop. They just diagnosed it today as a variable valve timing issue. One of the cams is off by 1 degree. They are suggesting I replace all 4 solenoids and all 4 VVT actuators to a cost of $4900 dollars (20% the price of the car). As a comparison I called the dealer and they quoted me $3800 for the same job.

Here are my questions:
1) How common are these VVT issues or phaser issues?
2) Are the prices I've been quoted reasonable?
3) How difficult is it to do myself?
4) Does it make sense to replace all 8 components at this time or should I just replace the faulty component?
5) Is this something once it is fixed I won't have to deal with again or is this a systemic issue that I need to keep worrying about?
6) Anybody want to buy a 2016 Expedition ;)

I've had terrible luck with this car since I bought it.

Cheers,

Airix

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FordTechMakuloco has an EcoBoost timing job series on YouTube to get an idea of difficulty. I’d make sure it’s that though and not just a solenoid. Maybe second opinion.