Loss of Power - P0172 and P0175 Plus other Codes 3.5 Eco boost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Airfix

Reaction score
I've got a 3.5 Eco Boost 2016 Expy, with just over 80,000 miles and I need some help trouble shooting a bunch of codes. Here is what is active right now:

P0019 - Crank Shaft Cam/Shaft Bank 2 Sensor B
P0172 - System Too Rich Bank 1
P0175 - System Too Rich Bank 2
P0299 - Turbo/Super Charger Low Boost.

The P0019 is a new code today (maybe a red herring). The P0172 and P0175 is what I've been working on this last week.

There are so many sensors in the air system I'm kind of confused which is could be. The first thing I did is a general service, replaced the plugs, air filter, oil change, checked for vacuum leaks cleaned the Air Inlet Temperature Sensor (I thought that was the MAF sensor) but looking up the 12A697 PN proved me wrong.

Today I replaced the MAP on the top of the engine (PN 9F479). Still no joy. However in searching the ford 9F479 part number I see that might be used multiple places - Turbo Charger Boost Pressure Sensor and Turbo Charger Air Intake Pressure Sensor.

I think maybe because I got P0299 as well it might be one of the turbos. Because those are the same PN's as the new sensor I just bought I'm going to sequentially switch them out with the new one to see if it helps.

I found this link about a bad purge valve on another thread that I'll investigate as well:

Does anybody have other suggestions?

With reference to the P019 code that showed up - over the past 6 months I've had both P016 and P019 codes show up each has been corrected by replacing the corresponding Cam Shaft position Sensor. I don't expect the P019 to be any different and I don't think it is related to the P0172 and P0175.

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions.

Cheers

Airfix

OP
OP
A

Airfix

Reaction score
Yes a big loss in power. To hold 65 on a flat piece of freeway it has to drop to 5th. Any kind of incline and it has to drop to 4th. Lack of torque off the line. Rough idling.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes a big loss in power. To hold 65 on a flat piece of freeway it has to drop to 5th. Any kind of incline and it has to drop to 4th. Lack of torque off the line. Rough idling.

Your description sure sounds like defective oxygen sensors.

2020-MAX-Limited

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are two O2 sensors, one for each bank? Is it likely they both go bad at the same time?
I believe there are four O2 sensors total, two on each bank, one before the CAT and another after the CAT. I recently got P0151 "O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 1" This came up after running with P219B "Air-Fuel Ratio Imbalance Bank 2" for several weeks. I have no performance hits, either with power or MPG.

Attachments

• IMG_1255.jpeg
    IMG_1255.jpeg
    207.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1256.jpeg
    IMG_1256.jpeg
    209.1 KB · Views: 2

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are two O2 sensors, one for each bank? Is it likely they both go bad at the same time?

I have never had two oxygen sensors go bad at the same time (upstream or downstream) - but, if they are original or were replaced at the same time, they both could be getting weak and providing bad data, which could trip the codes.

Usually, a bad oxygen sensor will show a lean condition - not a condition.

Recently, the bank 1 front oxygen sensor was replaced in my 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4, purchased new, at 84,*** miles. It set a lean code; P0131.

If your purge valve is stuck open - if can cause rich conditions and a rough idle. If you tend to overfill the fuel tank after the nozzle shuts off, you may have a carbon canister that is saturated with fuel and providing fuel at idle due to a stuck-open purge valve.

If your engine is running rich, both banks, and you continue to drive - it can easily damage the catalytic converters due to the rich condition.

OP
OP
A

Airfix

Reaction score
Well I checked the purge valve last night. Using Forscan I was able to open and close the valve. I noticed that most of the time the valve was sitting around 20% open. The resistance across the valve terminals was about 22 Ohms, right within the correct range. It seemed to be functioning correctly.

I've also been using the Torque app to watch the Long Term Fuel Trim Valves and the short term trim valves. The LTTVs are balanced and usually about -20% to -23% when diving.

I'm really not convinced it's the O2 sensors. The next shop visit I can get it into is not until August 17th and I scheduled that last week). I'm trying to find the problem before I send it to the dealership.

Airfix

mmurray

Reaction score
I had a check engine light and what felt like engine rumbling when tapping the accelerator to maintain speed. Not sure of the code. My mechanic indicared it was evap related. Felt this at 40mph+. Just had my purge valve replaced. He felt it was a good piece to replace to address this. 91K miles on a ‘15 xlt. Runs much smoother. Still feel the rumbling but not as severe.
-Mark

OP
OP
A

Airfix

Reaction score
I sent the car down to the dealer to diagnose this problem. They are telling me it is due to a faulty fuel pressure sensor regulator ford part number 9F972. They wanted $1000 to replace the part but according to the parts guy it is only $107.27 for the part.

Anybody have a link to manual or pictures or youtube on how to replace the fuel pressure sensor?

Airfix.