How did they steal my Expedition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TN_Explorer

Reaction score
OK, so my wife took the kids & some friends roller skating. Parked under the security light & locked the car as always. A couple of hours later it was gone. The police said they had a report of a car on fire 30 miles away.

So we have both keys and the car was locked. How can this happen and how do I and everyone I know avoid it in the future?

Waiting for the police report, but so far we can't officially identify it as ours because we cannot find a VIN number that is readable.

Expedition%201.jpg

brick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If theives want your car, they will take it. Sorry.
brick

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
VIN is etched near the windshield. Sorry for the loss. Do update us on the police report especially how they drove it away.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Your car got stolen by a 2 man job and probably a van with them (with locksmith tools in it) One guy goes and uses a pick on the door to identify how to cut a blank and the other starts cutting, get in the cabin and then he identifies the reminder of the key using the pick and the ignition cylinder and the other guy cuts it. Then you hook up a programmer to the OBDII and program the new key and vroom they go. Another way is someone gets the vin and requests the key specs from a dealer. If they're licensed and are willing to pay the dealer then they get the configuration for the key cuts and have one pre made and pre programmed. All they need to do then is find the truck, hop in and go.

Or like stamp said just tow it but thieves don't like to draw attention to themselves and a tow truck draws attention even if it's just a quick cherry pick type of tow truck

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Where is the rear hatch? Did the fire dept pry the doors like that?
I would have assumed our fuel filler doors were plastic, I guess the are metal.

Grgch95

Reaction score
Since the rear hatch I believe is fiberglass I am sure it burned. I would also be interested why doors are payed open unless fire dept was checking for people.

Jimdar

Reaction score
I think the rear hatch is aluminum. But if the fire was hot enough to melt glass, the hatch never had a chance.