How do i hook up a bass amp to the factory system????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SWADE23

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2000 expy xlt

i wanna put 2 10's in the trunk...
I have the speakers n box
i have the little converter box to turn the signal from the speaker wire to rca inputs.
But do i really have to jump the signal from the speaker in one of the doors???? I really, really dont wanna go tru the doors....
Wheres the amp for the factory stereo? Cant i splice the speaker wire coming outta there???
Please help!!!!!!!!

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
This is what I've seen done to keep the factory head unit. It's an easy way to get decent results.

Get another one of those matching transformers and hook up the front speaker outputs to a small 4 channel amp. This will power all 4 door speakers. Use the input level (gain) on the amp to set the front/rear fader levels. Then take the rear speaker outputs and run them to the sub amp. This allows you to use the head unit fader to control the sub level. Doing it this way eliminates the problem of having too much or too little sub depending on the volume level.

Yes this requires running new wires to the door speakers, but it's really not all that bad. (and you have to get to those rear speaker lines anyway)

You can also just pick up a single 5 channel amp instead of running 2 separate units.

OP
OP
S

SWADE23

Full Access Members
Reaction score
this is what i've seen done to keep the factory head unit. It's an easy way to get decent results.

Get another one of those matching transformers and hook up the front speaker outputs to a small 4 channel amp. This will power all 4 door speakers. Use the input level (gain) on the amp to set the front/rear fader levels. Then take the rear speaker outputs and run them to the sub amp. This allows you to use the head unit fader to control the sub level. Doing it this way eliminates the problem of having too much or too little sub depending on the volume level.

Yes this requires running new wires to the door speakers, but it's really not all that bad. (and you have to get to those rear speaker lines anyway)

you can also just pick up a single 5 channel amp instead of running 2 separate units.

ok uhh my objective is no to have to run a whole heap of new wires.... I want to make this as easy as possible with out changing the head unit

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
You're going to have to pull up trim panels to run power wires from amp in the the rear up to the battery anyway, so it's not much more work to run speaker wires to the doors.

Doing it the way I suggested may be 30% more work, but the results should sound 75% better.

sniper141

Reaction score
Just get a new head unit, it sounds a shit load better, trust me, I did the same thing you are about to do! I had the receptors run from the rear door speakers and now after 5 years I will be running a new head unit and keeping the rest of the audio the same as before. The new head unit will make a world of difference! You can pick up a good unit at wal mart for 100 bucks, get the wiring kit and bam, you got yourself an easy hook up!