How do I just run the radio with engine off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I believe you still have to have the fob in the vehicle with you to press the radio power button. So if your rogue offspring go into the garage to listen to the radio (as kids do), they won't be able to do so without your key...which is no different than a "regular" car.

So grab your key, get in the vehicle, and press the power button on the radio...NOT the ignition button.

Nope, I took the key and put it 20 feet away from the Expedition last night and hopped in and the radio still turned on. It doesn't care about the key being in it..... That was my point of it being kinda silly.
I live up north in a real secluded area and we rarely lock our vehicles at home, at work, in town, etc, so its kinda weird that the radio is able to be turned on with no key whatsoever.

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just checked my radio....after the 10 min point it turns off. I pressed the radio button and it came on after a few seconds. So, it will come on again after the 10 min shutoff without the ignition in the on position or key fob within three feet.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep, It will turn on with no key! Wonder what else comes on with no key?

nate6966

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just to throw this out there.
If you lock your car, nothing will turn on inside because the horn will be blaring and lights flashing if someone gets in to turn on the radio.

nate6966

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I lock mine every night. Live in a gated community, attached, climate controlled garage, alarm system, plus lock my vehicles, and keys are in my key box every night. Just like all my doors are locked and deadbolted and we have 'protection'.
I live away from bad areas, on the edge of town on 5 acres, and our city is small and conservative.
Convenience of locking up is felt probably because it's habit and second nature.
It may seem silly to lock it while in your garage, but I felt like it was silly to worry about someone getting in the car to listen to a radio. I know my kids just crank the radios in their rooms or rock out the home theater when we're out. I doubt the stereo in the car is better than the home system.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I lock mine every night. Live in a gated community, attached, climate controlled garage, alarm system, plus lock my vehicles, and keys are in my key box every night. Just like all my doors are locked and deadbolted and we have 'protection'.
I live away from bad areas, on the edge of town on 5 acres, and our city is small and conservative.
Convenience of locking up is felt probably because it's habit and second nature.
It may seem silly to lock it while in your garage, but I felt like it was silly to worry about someone getting in the car to listen to a radio. I know my kids just crank the radios in their rooms or rock out the home theater when we're out. I doubt the stereo in the car is better than the home system.

I have a 10 Gauge Shotgun for security.... I pay for insurance, so if they want the car they can have it.... They step in the house and its gonna get ugly.