How long did you wait for cam phaser parts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tread85

Reaction score
First post here, hi all. I've got a 2018 FX4 with around 46k on it. I've owned since new.

Here's my issue: I've had the cam phaser issue for the last 10k or so. Was diagnosed at a dealer back in October, parts were ordered, waited months for parts, and then when they finally arrived the dealer told me they didn't want to do the work (...it's a long story and a thread of its own), so I took it to a different dealer in February. New dealer is great, but they are now waiting on the parts. They are telling me that the hold up may be that Ford is coming out with programming that will "fix" the issue so the work may not be needed. It's been a frustrating process. Two questions for the forum:

1) For those of you who had the cam phasers replaced, how long did you have to wait for the parts? I've read some threads where people are getting parts the same week, this is crazy compared to my experience.

2) Anyone heard of this pending PCM reprogramming to address the cam phasers? I've seen talk of it on the F150 forum but nothing here. Did a quick search here and didn't see anything.

Last edited:

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They did the 4th set of phasers in my wifes and had the parts the same week. Its getting its 5th set of phasers on Tuesday. fn junk. has 22,000 miles on it.

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They did the 4th set of phasers in my wifes and had the parts the same week. Its getting its 5th set of phasers on Tuesday. fn junk. has 22,000 miles on it.

That is insane. Lemon law??
Mine were done once. Been perfect ever since (12 months 20,000 miles).
I’m feeling really fortunate.

Reaction score
I just took mine in for 1st set of phasers. Should be done W/i same week (but I don't have it back yet). The reprogramming Ford tried for a while didn't work with Peoples vehicles, so they stopped it a couple weeks ago, not sure what the new fix is...

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Deadman 5th time? I know you have a few vehicles and a good setup with dealer/sales but man, that's just too much. Either you're getting rid of it in a few thousand miles or you have a nice long extended warranty. That right there should give no one on here comfort. If I didn't care about losing money, I'd be out. Been eyeing the denalis a lot lately, sharp rigs.

OP
OP
T

Tread85

Reaction score
Deadman's situation is the exact reason why I haven't been in too much of a rush to get them replaced. However, I've been waiting months for mine to get fixed, seems excessive especially in light of what times others are posting.

Outside of the cam phasers, a leaking front axle seal, and a bad battery my '18 has been reliable, but likely my first and last Ford. The Ford dealer experience has been less than stellar and when I had an issue with the prior dealer and escalated to Ford corporate, Ford essentially told me too bad dealers are independent.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Deadman's situation is the exact reason why I haven't been in too much of a rush to get them replaced. However, I've been waiting months for mine to get fixed, seems excessive especially in light of what times others are posting.

Outside of the cam phasers, a leaking front axle seal, and a bad battery my '18 has been reliable, but likely my first and last Ford. The Ford dealer experience has been less than stellar and when I had an issue with the prior dealer and escalated to Ford corporate, Ford essentially told me too bad dealers are independent.
Agree on Ford Customer care. Took me 6 months of escalations, a letter to customer care and a letter to the board of directors (both of which went mostly unanswered) to get two rattling turbos replaced. Finally got it done (took 10 days to do that and replace a warped dash) and voila, no more rattling turbos, but according to ford the rattle is normal. It's sad for me, I really wanted to support an American company, not sure if GM is any better these days but it makes me think.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm in contact with Lincoln directly and they're trying desperately to just throw another set of phasers in it to buy time and save money. My dealers told them endlessly that the engine needs to be replaced. They rip it apart Tuesday to follow Lincoln's protocol and hopefully they find huge destruction so Lincoln is forced to replace the entire engine. Otherwise I'll guarantee they're going to only cover another phaser replacement. Its such a fn joke. If it wasn't a financial disaster, I'd dump this thing tomorrow. I can't even make it to a different dealership without a check engine light on.
Its the biggest pile of dog $hit that I've ever owned.
Unfortunately I bought it was 15K on it, so I didn't buy it new. BUT fortunately, I saved $40K by doing so....

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had mine replaced (before covid crap screwed up everything) and it was within a week. If mine started acting up right now I would probably wait until parts started becoming more readily available before I took it in.

I have rattling turbos I am waiting to take in until something else happens I need to get fixed.

I will say ford dealerships have been a let down with the service department. I have been spoiled by Mercedes, bmw and audi over the last 7 years and I cringe when I think about going back for service at Ford. I do love my expedition though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett