Joining the Cam Phaser Club! YAY! (ugh)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also add all the transmissions that fail before 80k due to the faulty design of the CDF drum.

OP
OP
FoMoCo_Stealth

FoMoCo_Stealth

Reaction score
Has anyone had luck having Ford cover the cam phasers since January? I just bought a '19 Platinum with obvious cam phaser rattle, and it appears the PO didnt bother to take it to the dealer during the programs. Ford corporate customer service supervisor said they wont cover it and that I can write to "senior management" and complain and see if they would go "off policy". Seems ridiculous that Ford would stop supporting a $90k product with a manufacturing defect in just a few years.
I just dropped my truck off at the dealer this morning, the service writer basically said that IF they diagnose it as a phaser issue AND i am still under power train warranty (i am) then it will be covered. I have the wastegate rattle too and they are going to look at it but there was no mention of the TSB for it or if that still will cover it etc.

OP
OP
FoMoCo_Stealth

FoMoCo_Stealth

Reaction score
Welp, mine didn't have your issues at all, and technically I never had phaser rattling, but Ford wouldn't replace my turbos due to the wastegate rattle without first trying the phasers. So freakin stupid that me and the tech took a video of the locations (notice plural) of the sound, had nothing to do with the phasers, but for mother Ford to require the engine be torn apart to fix the turbos, was really stupid! I would find it really weird that the phasers would have anything to do with your AC issue, especially since you were on a long road trip and the phaser issue really only causes problems at start up when there isn't enough oil in assemblies. Seems like you'll get the phasers fixed, only to be back some time later for the AC issue again. This rarely happens in cars, but I wonder if something froze up, happens in hope AC systems a bit when the coil freezes when it's running too hard/too cold. Which could explain why a gap in use may have made it come back, it defrosted.
I tend to agree with you that the ac issue isnt related to the phasers. Though i can confirm that it is not from anything freezing up. My ac is wildy intermittent and many times doesnt work in the morning when it has sat overnight. Ive read that some people have issues with the rear ac leaking refrigerant, shrug, the dealer will be looking at it today. Hopefully ill know more by EOD.

Acme Lighting

Reaction score
The AC on my 2021 was acting up sense new, after a few visits to the dealer they finally replaced the rear condenser. Been working fine for 9 months

malimal

Reaction score
Had the same issue. Bought a 2019 with the issue unserviced. Got an extended warranty through Lambord for piece of mind. Just had them replaced.

Last edited:

cfp-112

Reaction score
I have a 2018 limited. I had the same cam phaser rattle. I took it in at 56k for a trans solenoid issue. My service writer heard the cam phasers and told me to have them replaced now because I was close to the 60k . It took them 4 days and both problems were taken care of. My experience has been that the problem with warrantee issues is the dealer, not Ford. I am in San Diego and there are numerous Ford dealers.
Some good, some not so good. If you have a choice , look around and look online for reviews of dealers.

chrissbu

Reaction score
I just dropped mine off at the dealer last night to have all 4 VCUs replaced. 2019 Limited with 66k miles...we bought it about 4 months ago with 63k miles on it. Fortunately, the dealer offers a 100k powertrain warranty, and they're covering the repair under their own warranty. We've got our fingers crossed that no other issues pop up...but we _just_ got a notification on the Ford app of a "Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power" and "Pre-Collision Assist Not Available" alerts.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just dropped mine off at the dealer last night to have all 4 VCUs replaced. 2019 Limited with 66k miles...we bought it about 4 months ago with 63k miles on it. Fortunately, the dealer offers a 100k powertrain warranty, and they're covering the repair under their own warranty. We've got our fingers crossed that no other issues pop up...but we _just_ got a notification on the Ford app of a "Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power" and "Pre-Collision Assist Not Available" alerts.
Good luck.

haviland

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry to get a little off-topic but do the "22 Expys have cam phaser issues?
I'm about ready to buy one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire