How long did you wait for cam phaser parts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FormerGermanFan

Reaction score
Mine started rattling around Christmas. Don't know how common it is on 19's v. 18's, but my Ford dealer here in DFW told me to pound sand. Took advantage of the high used resale values going on because of the COVID nonsense and sold the damn thing.

Really do want to support an American company but not with this quality. GM's no better. FCA/Stellantis is French/Italian so no but wow does the Grand Wagoneer look good. At this point I'm sitting pretty on a GX Lexus knowing if (hopefully when) Ford fixes these big issues I can go back to Expedition and not lose much on trade.

cfldad

Reaction score
Is there a real fix coming? It sounds like an issue that can re-occur at this point.

dwmarks

Reaction score
Reading everybody's various situations, seems the process and end result might be dealer-dependent more than anything. Took my '18 Expy Limited in on Tuesday a few weeks ago at 59,950 miles with what I suspected was the cam phaser problem. They confirmed (covered by powertrain warranty - 50 miles to spare!) and ordered the parts which they had the next day (Wed). Truck was ready Friday. Purrs like a kitten. No leaks, problems or other anomalies. Great dealer experience. Not sure how a software change would fix it? Mechanic showed me the busted plastic pin in each of the 4 cam phasers. Truck has gone trouble-free for 60k miles so hopefully no more issues. This really wasn't an issue except it was annoying to hear when you were outside the truck and did a remote start. Getting the itch to order a 2022 in the Fall so not too concerned about long-term results but it's nice to be quiet again.

pgonza2723

Reaction score
Got mine fixed under the powertrain warranty at 56k miles and it's back sitting at 83k miles. No way I'm gonna have it repaired on my own dime so just bidding time till trade this in for something else without the 3.5L. I really enjoy the Expedition, but there's just too many issues that make me feel confident about holding it long term. I generally like keeping vehicles to 150k miles and then move on, but I'm not sure this has that type of reliability left in it. Most of the miles have been highway driven so I'm shocked on how fragile it seems. Problems I'm living with so far:

Cam phasers
Rattling turbos
front strut leaks
cracked intake leading to coolant loss
Leather seats in middle ripping at seams
Leather seats in middle clips underneath constantly popping off
Running boards inconsistent operation

Just to name a few off the top of my head...

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The dealer here in NY said to sell a 2018, and to avoid the Ecoboost altogether. They are having monumental supply chain problems with parts that is nearly shutting down service. They just got permission from Ford to purchase and install lots of aftermarket parts.

kjf1

Reaction score
First thing I did when I purchased my 2018 was unplug the VDOP sensor switch next to the crankshaft damper on the front cover. This give higher oil pressure when engine is running during all conditions. I presently have 25,000 miles with no problem.

OP
OP
T

Tread85

Reaction score
Thanks to all that gave me an idea of how long they had to wait for the parts. Based on everyone's input, waiting months is not normal.

I contacted Ford Customer Care this morning to see where my parts are. Ford is having its "Dealer Team" reach out to my dealer to expedite the parts. Hopefully this works.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire