How many miles on your 2nd Gen Ford Expedition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pecos

Reaction score
Just traded for our 03 Expi about a week ago.
Runs great. But has quite a few little issues. Mostly electrical. But that's just a guess.
Rear hear/ac has a knock.
Speakers from 2nd row back.dont work.
Drivers window won't move.
Buttons on steering wheel.
DVD player inoperable.
Has 285/70r/17 tires. Not.a.fan.of big tires. What size came out on this truck?

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
265/70/17 was stock size.

Rear ac noise is likely blend door "clicking". Theres 2, one is accessible from the top if you remove the tray. Search here or check youtube for visual.

Window regulator or motor likely bad, common failure especially w the age/miles.

Speakers could be bad, or wiring, or radio or combination of. It's a simple system fortunately and easy to diagnose. Radio comes out inside of 5min w basic tools. Need a speaker "tester" or rig up a AA to pop them to see if signal makes it to each channel. Narrows down wiring/speaker or radio being at fault. Assuming original I'd just replace them anyway, even inexpensive options from pioneer/kenwood/jbl would be an improvement over stock.

Steering wheel controls go bad from time to time. Somewhat hard to diagnose unless you can take resistance readings while pressing the buttons to determine if they are doing anything

OP
OP
M

Mako825

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just traded for our 03 Expi about a week ago.
Runs great. But has quite a few little issues. Mostly electrical. But that's just a guess.
Rear hear/ac has a knock.
Speakers from 2nd row back.dont work.
Drivers window won't move.
Buttons on steering wheel.
DVD player inoperable.
Has 285/70r/17 tires. Not.a.fan.of big tires. What size came out on this truck?

Pecos - The stock tires that came on the XLT model were P265/70R17.
If you want to see what all came on your vehicle, go this Ford site and type in your VIN#: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/vindecoder.php

Mako

OP
OP
M

Mako825

Full Access Members
Reaction score
New to me '04 Eddie Bauer 4x2. It's got 182K miles.

I haven't learned yet what equipment comes with the EB package but it's got everything you could imagine, most surprising to me being the power rear quarter vent windows, that's just overkill.

I've been able to figure out it's got the 5.4 2V, 4R70W, 3.73 LSD, tow package and I discovered the add on device under the dash is a Tekonsha controller, maybe a Voyager.

Noitidepxe - If you want to check on what came on your Eddie Bauer, you can go to this Ford site and type in your VIN#: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/vindecoder.php

OP
OP
M

Mako825

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2003 XLT 5.4 has around 165K on it. I have owned it for about 4 years now. It is my summer time mountain fun / winter time snowy weather vehicle. It sits alot as my other vehicle absorbs the vast majority of my around town driving. I love this thing. It has never left me stranded. I have definitely kept up on maintenance, though. My philosophy is "Take care of your vehicles and they will take care of you". I plan on keeping it around for a long time.

View attachment 34531

MrBlargMan - That looks righteous! Love the bull bar and tires. Is the color a custom blue? I like it! What modifications have you made and are planning to make next?

Mako

BrandonZ55

Full Access Members
Reaction score
05 EB loaded. Level kit with 285/70r17 165*** driven every day. Love this truck. Hauls my family no problem. Keeps the kids quiet with the dvd player. And they arent close enough to fight the whole time.

20200220_140445.jpg

Uberexpy

Reaction score
‘05 XLT 4WD. I hit 119,000 miles this week. I did the timing chains, cam phasers, vct’s, all roller followers, lash adjusters and a melling hi flow/pressure pump @ 99,000. One of the followers bearings siezed. I replaced the throttle body due to going to run safe intermittently @ 98,000. I put an aftermarket one on that’s starting to fail. Going to drop the bucks on a motorcraft one this time. Overall, it’s been a good ride.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2004 XLT 5.4 2v w/Advance Trac 4x4 almost 266,000 miles.
Bought it in 2005 with 15,000 miles.
Best and most reliable vehicle we've ever had.
Other than tires, brakes, batteries & wiper blades, we have not had to do much of anything to it other than oil/fluid and filter changes.
Changed the serpentine belt for the first time at 247,000 just to make me feel better. It looked fine before and after I removed it.
Original engine, transmission, suspension, starter, alternator, water pump, fuel pump, power steering pump, a/c system, etc.
Still running on seven of the original eight spark plugs/coil packs. Had a couple heater hoses replaced last year. No problems with any sensors or electrical devices.
Its always been garaged and mostly highway miles. No rust underneath due to always being in the South.
It has never leaked oil but strangely it has always used oil but has never shown any signs of exhaust smoke. I always checked the oil every couple weeks and add a few ounces to top it off.
Always used conventional 5w20 oil and Motorcraft filters.
Hope we can get to 300,000 before anything major goes wrong.
(KNOCK ON WOOD)
Wow, that's amazing.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Belt lasted 247K ?.....may be a new track record. My Vettes eat belts at about 36K miles, and the wife's 2006
Mustang GT maintenance manual suggests a belt change between 60K-100K. It is also suggested that belts don't crack
anymore, they stretch.

We shall see.......
The local garage said I need a new belt 5 years ago...…………...lol