"how to" install new rear brakes on '17 Expy 25k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
07navi,

There did appear to be some lube on the pins when I took them out. Not sure how much would have been enough

I was sure to put lots on when I replaced them.
They must have been sticking for pads to wear on one side of the rotor more than the other.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
You could speculate that the rotors were very rusted from sitting for a year and perhaps prematurely ate the pads before they smoothed out, but that's a guess. I'm all out of guesses. But I;'ll bet you get better service from this set of brakes.

Plati

Reaction score
My rear brakes (2014EL) went 98K before rear brake pads needed replacement. Of course the vast majority of my miles are on interstate, driving habits matter. I was told the inner pads were the most worn (vs outer) and that is typical because of the brake design. I think there are some posts on this Forum about that. I also seem to recall that newer Expy's use rear brakes for stability control or some other new fangled safety feature that makes rear's wear faster than earlier Expo's. 25K seems like something is wrong. If it was me I would so some diagnostic on the rear brakes. I am a fan of good brakes.

My favorite diagnostic trick for brakes is the non-contact infrared temp gun. Drive around and then read the brake temperature (caliper, rotor, etc). It should be equal left & right side, not a huge difference front to back. Something like that. If brakes are dragging you will pick up on that very quickly. For fronts if you have a failing flexible hose you will identify a problem right away. It also shows bad calipers etc. I like diagnosis versus guessing and parts swapping.

Is there a new design for parking brake on the 2017?
Or is it still the drum in the hat old design?

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the pads are bonded and not riveted then I’d say the bonding glue failed and pad fell off. I recently had to replace drum brake shoes on one of my trailers and 3 out of the 4 sets had pads broken off the shoes. I think in my case it’s was cheap Chinese Bull$hit. In your case maybe just a defective pad that didn’t bond properly.