"how to" install new rear brakes on '17 Expy 25k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

haviland

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Vehicle was bought new in 2018 and it seems weird that the rear rotors and pads are totally shot. But I need to replace them and looked at a YouTube video to get an idea of what to do. I have been changing rotors and pads on boat trailers for years, but the Expy seems more complicated.

Anyone know of a video out there that they found really helpful? And do you think the calipers will need to be replaced?

thanks,

Peter

rdlangston13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have 97,000 miles on my 2015 expedition and the rear brakes are still in good condition. I think you may have a sticking caliper or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Vehicle was bought new in 2018 and it seems weird that the rear rotors and pads are totally shot. But I need to replace them and looked at a YouTube video to get an idea of what to do. I have been changing rotors and pads on boat trailers for years, but the Expy seems more complicated.

Anyone know of a video out there that they found really helpful? And do you think the calipers will need to be replaced?

thanks,

Peter
Keep the calipers...….nutin' to it.

OP
OP
H

haviland

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Job done, kept the calipers. Still don't understand why the system failed after only 25k on the clock.

One side had one pad totally gone- just the backing plate. Other pad was maybe 50% gone.

On the other side, larger pad had 75% still good, other pad maybe 50%.

I didn't measure either either rotor but they didn't look bad except for some scoring.

But both sides sounded awful when I applied the binders so it had to be done.

This is my forth EXPY, all with at least 75k miles when sold, and I can't remember having brake issues with any of 'em. Driving habits have all been similar, except that this one is the only one that didn't tow a 7k boat to FL from MA!

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Maybe your front brakes ain't working. Make sure the front hoses aren't defective. Something's not right. Have your fronts worn also?

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Job done, kept the calipers. Still don't understand why the system failed after only 25k on the clock.

One side had one pad totally gone- just the backing plate. Other pad was maybe 50% gone.

On the other side, larger pad had 75% still good, other pad maybe 50%.

I didn't measure either either rotor but they didn't look bad except for some scoring.

But both sides sounded awful when I applied the binders so it had to be done.

This is my forth EXPY, all with at least 75k miles when sold, and I can't remember having brake issues with any of 'em. Driving habits have all been similar, except that this one is the only one that didn't tow a 7k boat to FL from MA!
It sounds like your slide pins need to be lubed.

OP
OP
H

haviland

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Very good question, Eddie. I hadn't thought of that.

A couple of months ago I had the dealer do an oil change. As part of the deal they did a complete check of all the systems. At that time they said the back brakes were bad, and the fronts were not much better. I sorta dismissed that as them just looking to increase their business.

I guess they were right about the backs, although I did get a couple thousand more miles out of them.

Tomorrow I will give the fronts a look. You would think that if they hadn't been working, the dealership would have seen that during their inspection. They didn't report that, however. In any event I should keep an eye on them.

OP
OP
H

haviland

Full Access Members
Reaction score
07navi,

There did appear to be some lube on the pins when I took them out. Not sure how much would have been enough

I was sure to put lots on when I replaced them.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Another thought...

Is the truck black?

If it is and you didn't do it already, order a Carfax and check the mileage. Make sure that 25K wasn't really an Uber with 75K and a new instrument cluster. Or maybe the original owner just drove the thing with two fat feet -- one on each pedal.

OP
OP
H

haviland

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, it's black but I am the original owner. It apparently sat on the lot for a year and only had 43 miles on it. It truly was in new condition.

The only thing "fishy" is that I believe it had a new battery in it. Not sure why a new battery would go bad in one year.