How to prove your fourth generation expedition tranny is slipping?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobward757

Reaction score
Hello again, fourth generation, friends,
My tranny has 90,000 miles on it and was serviced at 60,000 miles and the fluid was in good shape.

However, since then, I am increasingly noticing intermittent slips, especially on slow accelerations through fourth fifth and sixth gear.

I have not had any of the reverse gear issues that others have reported.

From your experience, what is the best way other than a half hour road test to prove to my dealer that there is occasional slippage especially in the lower gears?? I really would like to get this addressed while I still have some miles on my warranty.

Again, many thanks, merry Christmas and happy Hanukkah to you all. Bob.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Best way is if you have specific situations where it's repeatable and you can ride along with a service tech to demonstrate. Any chance it would be more likely to slip when heavily loaded or with a trailer in tow?

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
I had am OBD2 scan gauge on top of the dashboard on my earlier Explorer that displayed torque converter slip as well as transmission temperature. I was curious how well the transmission handled trailer weights nearing the maximum tow rating as slip generates a lot of heat and heat kills transmissions. Apparently measured the differences in rotational speed between the input and outputs. I could see evidence of converter lock up within a second of gear changes. Never saw evidence of slip other than those brief seconds before lockup occurred.

-- Chuck

OP
OP
B

bobward757

Reaction score
Best way is if you have specific situations where it's repeatable and you can ride along with a service tech to demonstrate. Any chance it would be more likely to slip when heavily loaded or with a trailer in tow?
Scott, no, she slips at light loads accelerating through the gears on a “normal” acceleration.

Read in another phaser thread how the latest phaser update may cause tranny slippage. Can anyone else verify and or illiterate us on that? Thanks!

fmendezex2019

Reaction score
My transmission on my 2019 was slipping. They did a update on it earlier this past August and then in December I noticed it slipping bad. I spoke to the service guy last Thursday and it looks like they are going to check the valve solenoids but more then likely they are going to rebuild the transmission or replace it with a new one.

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My transmission on my 2019 was slipping. They did an update on it earlier this past August and then in December I noticed it slipping bad. I spoke to the service guy last Thursday and it looks like they are going to check the valve solenoids but more then likely they are going to rebuild the transmission or replace it with a new one.
Have a 2018, vehicle shuddered in gears 3,4, and 5. Dealer confirmed the same and reprogrammed TCM. Reprogram appeared to fix the issue for the first 300 miles after the reprogram. Unfortunately the issue came back and it now shuddered in gears 3,4,5,6 and sometimes 7.

The vehicle shudders when the trans is cold or hot, and under normal driving conditions in any drive mode… some days it behaves and then there are others where it’s really bad…

Dealer confirmed my complaint and now I wait for them to tear into it to identify the issue(s). I have an extended warranty and a rental is being covered while diagnostic work is completed.

fmendezex2019

Reaction score
Status update on my issue:

As of last week my EXPY 19 still sits at the dealer on its 6th week. They have not torn the transmission down ,but they are saying it is internal. Apparently I am 4th in line to get transmission work done. This bites... They say that they are backlogged and waiting for parts on other vehicles and that is why they don't want to tear mine down yet. I'm still covered under the 5 year 60,000 mile powertrain warranty. Waiting to hear back about a rental.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Status update on my issue:

As of last week my EXPY 19 still sits at the dealer on its 6th week. They have not torn the transmission down ,but they are saying it is internal. Apparently I am 4th in line to get transmission work done. This bites... They say that they are backlogged and waiting for parts on other vehicles and that is why they don't want to tear mine down yet. I'm still covered under the 5 year 60,000 mile powertrain warranty. Waiting to hear back about a rental.
When its fixed im trading it in. Because its only a matter of time before the tranny they "repaired" or replaced will fail again.

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have a 2018, vehicle shuddered in gears 3,4, and 5. Dealer confirmed the same and reprogrammed TCM. Reprogram appeared to fix the issue for the first 300 miles after the reprogram. Unfortunately the issue came back and it now shuddered in gears 3,4,5,6 and sometimes 7.

The vehicle shudders when the trans is cold or hot, and under normal driving conditions in any drive mode… some days it behaves and then there are others where it’s really bad…

Dealer confirmed my complaint and now I wait for them to tear into it to identify the issue(s). I have an extended warranty and a rental is being covered while diagnostic work is completed.
I checked with my dealer on Friday afternoon. My vehicle is about 3,500 miles outside of Ford’s Powertrain warranty however, Ford has decided to cover a replacement. Ford however has not yet decided on if they want to provide a remanufactured unit or a new unit. My extended warranty is currently covering a rental while a wait for Ford to decide on what they want to do.

fmendezex2019

Reaction score
Quick update!! As of last week they are rebuilding my transmission as Ford is also going to reimburse me for my rental until my SUV is ready to be picked up. Last I heard they were waiting for Ford to expedite some gaskets and yeah the typical comment "Some parts are on backordered". I told my wife that we might just sit ride the warranty out for this year make plans on getting something else.