How to prove your fourth generation expedition tranny is slipping?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I checked with my dealer on Friday afternoon. My vehicle is about 3,500 miles outside of Ford’s Powertrain warranty however, Ford has decided to cover a replacement. Ford however has not yet decided on if they want to provide a remanufactured unit or a new unit. My extended warranty is currently covering a rental while a wait for Ford to decide on what they want to do.
So I have an update as to what failed internally. My service advisor sent me a quick explanation as to what they found. Service advisor stated “Removed transmission and mounted to bench. Removed internal parts. Found CDF drum to be cause of failure. The bushing spun blocking fluid passages. Also found A clutch frictions flaking apart.

Recommend overhaul or replacement of transmission.”
they advised that ford is covering the repair or replacement of the transmission. There are three steps to this process. All all OEM parts and complete transmissions are on nationwide back order with no known ETA for restocking.
Ford has advised my service department to call around to try and source OEM parts from dealers across the US, if possible. If unable to source OEM parts for a rebuild, Ford has authorized the purchase of aftermarket (third party vendor) parts. If aftermarket parts are unavailable, Ford will authorize a complete transmission replacement.

So to recap, the bearing in the CDF drum spun, blocked passages for that clutch pack which led to clutch failure and the contamination of the entire transmission with clutch material and metal shavings…
Below is a YouTube video of a tech showing what is occurring in the CDF drum

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The sad thing is that Ford is still using this faulty design on new production,,, even the 10r140 on bigger trucks is having this issue. No fix from Sonnax yet.

So sad since new ones may have the same fate down the road!

Password

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have a 2018, vehicle shuddered in gears 3,4, and 5. Dealer confirmed the same and reprogrammed TCM. Reprogram appeared to fix the issue for the first 300 miles after the reprogram. Unfortunately the issue came back and it now shuddered in gears 3,4,5,6 and sometimes 7.

The vehicle shudders when the trans is cold or hot, and under normal driving conditions in any drive mode… some days it behaves and then there are others where it’s really bad…

Dealer confirmed my complaint and now I wait for them to tear into it to identify the issue(s). I have an extended warranty and a rental is being covered while diagnostic work is completed.
My transmission was just rebuilt about a month ago. I had the same issues as you. I do a lot of highway travel through congestion, lots of 30 mph to a stop or few mph, back up to 30 and so on.... and finally got tired of the hard shifts. Service advisor said to rebuild instead of replace. I'm still getting a rough shift from 4 to 5. They replaced the valve body at 58k, rebuild was at 67k. I told them about the hard shifting when the cam phasers we're replaced at about 27k and got a "that's normal" response back then.

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Want to provide an update on my experience with the transmission shudder, from diagnosis to repair. Vehicle was taken into the dealer Dec. 27th and presented with shudder in gears 3,4,5,6, and sometimes into 7th. Transmission would also present with a slight neutral out condition when coming out of 3rd and an occasional rough engagement from reverse to drive. In all honesty it wasn't awful and for the most part was very smooth in operation. The dealer tech was quick to diagnose that there was an issue and have the service advisor place me into a loaner while they tore it apart to check. See the image below for the full write up from the tech.

I just picked the vehicle up this morning. In the short trip (<15 miles) home it behaved markedly different from when I dropped it off. Power delivery was much better and it felt much more responsive. The responsiveness makes sense, if the diagnosis the tech provided is correct, with slipping clutches it wasn't really going to get up and go. I'll log some miles and see how it settles in over the next couple months.

Attachments

• IMG_9750.jpeg
    IMG_9750.jpeg
    198 KB · Views: 25
Last edited: