How to reduce towing sway

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bury

Reaction score
I have a 2015 towing a 25' RV. Coming up on time to change tires, what size tire do you suggest that may help reducing sway. Also considering changing the weight distribution hitch.

Tim Fuller

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not so much tire size but look for a higher load range/index. I have Firestone Destination LE2(?) on my '13 with a load index of 111 which is normal for a highway tire. They're nice but I'm looking to move up to a 117 load index. These can handle a little bit more weight and should "square" everything up. Visit a reputable tire store and they will be able to show you your best options based on your wants and needs

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pretty sure it's shocks and control arms and sway bars, not sidewall flex (if you have properly inflated tires for towing), that give you sway

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 16 and tow a 30' camper. WD hitch could be the issue - if you are looking at replacing that have the dealer help you set it up. I inflate the Expedition tires to 40lbs each for towing and always run the trailer tires at the posted pressures. And make sure you are not unbalanced - weight is distributed in the trailer properly. Too much or too little tongue weight can make towing "fun".

Many folks on the various trailer forums recommend getting better tires for the trailer to help sway as well. Most come with cheap Chinese tires that don't last too long and don't have as many plies as as a set of say Goodyear Endurance tires. Good luck!

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sidewall flex can have a role in side-to-side sway. That’s one of the things LT tires do instead of P-rated tires. The stiff sidewalls allow for more load capacity and less sway.

I have Load Range E tires on my Expedition.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm towing a 25ft box, 29gt tongue to bumper, with my 17 and stock tires. It sounds more like your hitch is not set up correctly for the vehicle. I bought a husky centerline TS hitch and set it up myself. That thing is rock solid even with the squishy stick tires and China bombs on the trailer. I have about 1" of drop on the rear suspension with 900 pounds of tongue weight, and zero drop or rise on the front suspension.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
been towing things for a lifetime.
its all important.
proper tire pressure, loading of trailer and tow rig, hitch weight, trailer tire PSI and wd hitch set up.

it takes some time to do it right.
weigh the expy with what you presume to be as its ready to tow
then weigh trailer, by itself. park it on the scale an dget REAL weight
then move the front roller leg off scale and get the true axle weights.
that will tell you your real hitch weight. then you can adjust accordingly