How to remove Stereo head unit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DodgeRamAw06

Reaction score
go to any stereo store and get the Ford stereo romover kit. It includes two pieces of metal that go in the four holes of the stereo. Then it should just slide out.

OP
OP
D

danketchpel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks,

I'll see if I can find a removal kit.

I am going to install an iPod direct connection interface and wanted to check the connector before I bought the kit. Besides, since it's just a plug in deal I thought I'd do the install myself.

powderhounder

Reaction score
It's not as simple as the older stereo's that had the four holes visible and you could just insert the tool to pull the radio. On the '04 the face plate on the dash has to be removed first before you can get at the radio.

OP
OP
D

danketchpel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On the '04 the face plate on the dash has to be removed first before you can get at the radio.

How does the face plate come off? Maybe it's obvious but I haven't had a chance to check it out in detail. Just trying to save some time and frustration.

Thanks for the help.

OP
OP
D

danketchpel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
iPod connection - stereo removal

Yes indeed the faceplate surrounding the stereo unit must be removed first but it comes off very easy. Once off, the stereo can be removed with only 2 screws, very easy.

Some notes to be aware of.

The connectors on the harness have been updated from about early/mid 2004 to the new "F-150 style" harness which uses the 24 and 16 pin (2) rectangular connectors instead of the older 20 pin square connector.

As such, most of the currently available iPod direct interface systems won't fit. I contacted most of them and they all said "we're working on the newer harness system".

I was able to do a direct iPod connection by using an interface made to add RCA jacks for DVD apps made by a company called Precision Interface Electronics (PIE) in Chatsworth CA. I had a custom cable made using a RF adaptor where the RF section was cut off and the left/right connections were soldered up to RCA jacks allowing connection to the PIE unit. I kept the original 12v charging intact. This allows for a single cable connection to the iPod but does not allow you control the iPod from the dash or use of the click wheel for volume control but all other functions on the iPod work normally.

I had to also add a signal reduction unit to bring down the input signal as it was too high and caused distortion. I adjusted it to match the volume of a CD. You can still utilize the standard CD and tape features in addition to the radio.

I works perfectly and the sound quality is awesome plus the iPod is charging while the key is on.

Once you start using the iPod as your music source you'll never go back to swapping CD/tapes/etc. it simply rocks!!!

If anybody wants more info just ask. I have done a fair amount of research on this subject.

OP
OP
D

danketchpel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wish I had some good pix when I had the dash apart but I didn't have my digital camera handy when I had it apart.

As far as the iPod install there isn't much to show. I wanted it to be totally hidden so it appeared stock when looking in the window etc. I hid all the extra electronics behind the dash and ran the iPod connection cord under the center console and into the bottom of the armrest storage pit. There is already a large hole there so you don't have to drill anything. When you use the iPod the cable comes out the opening between the lid and base where there is an opening about size of your finger and you can just lay the iPod in the center console area. When it's not connected or when I'm parked it just goes back in the "pit".

You can setup playlists of your favorite songs and set it to randomly shuffle the songs so you don't have to fool with the iPod while driving, much better than any radio (unless you like talk radio) and way less hassle than changing discs or tapes. Once you start it playing you can leave it in the "pit" while it's playing if you wish.

You can put your entire music collection on the thing with room to spare. I have the 30Gg photo model and have 2,200+ songs and 2,400+ pictures on it and it's still has 15Gb of disk space left!!!

lvexp

Reaction score
Which Head Unit

I just purchased a 2005 Expedition. It has a factory 6 CD in dash. It does not have an Aux or Satellite button. I've been told that the ipod adapters such as the PIE and others won't work on this unit because there is no auxilary input and that I need to purchase a different head unit.

Which headunit do you have that you were able to connect?

Thank you.

OP
OP
D

danketchpel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was told by all of the iPod adpator companies that the in-dash 6 disc changer units won't work. I was told that the main reason they can't make it work is software reasons and that most of the iPod adapters use the external CD changer function to hook into. The stereo unit sees the iPod as an external CD changer.

You may be able to use a unit similar to what I used that is meant to hook up an external DVD entertainment system. Not sure, you need to contact the interface companies directly, don't rely on the stereo sales people.

I forgot to mention that I've got the cassette / single CD player unit. I think it's the standard unit on the XLT model

Last edited: