How to shut OFF Traction Control completely?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brian Kile

Reaction score
I see this thread has been stagnant for a while, so I wanted to share what I've experienced 2019 XLT FX4

I have the HP Tuner - 5 Star Tuner

If I do not disable traction control and get on the throttle too much, not only will the traction control kick in and make it dangerous, it throws a cylinder misfire DTC and throws the truck into "limp mode" for what seems like 30 seconds, or until I click through the screens and clear DTC's quickly, which will not allow me to accelerate and causes the truck to shake as soon as I touch the throttle.

I thought that pressing and holding the traction control button, would fully disable all traction babysitting systems, but I hadn't stayed in the throttle long enough to fully test it, until this morning. I pulled out into a fairly small gap in traffic, trusting my TC was disabled, started to spin a little bit, continued accelerating, and after a couple of seconds, power dropped for a few seconds and then came back. I was not happy at all, it's a helpless feeling when you lose throttle control like that! No flashing lights this time, no DTC's, the light was lit on the dash telling me that traction control was disabled, and I had received the message that StabiliTrak had been disabled, so I don't know what kicked in and brought me down again, but this is annoying and dangerous!

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I see this thread has been stagnant for a while, so I wanted to share what I've experienced 2019 XLT FX4

I have the HP Tuner - 5 Star Tuner

If I do not disable traction control and get on the throttle too much, not only will the traction control kick in and make it dangerous, it throws a cylinder misfire DTC and throws the truck into "limp mode" for what seems like 30 seconds, or until I click through the screens and clear DTC's quickly, which will not allow me to accelerate and causes the truck to shake as soon as I touch the throttle.

I thought that pressing and holding the traction control button, would fully disable all traction babysitting systems, but I hadn't stayed in the throttle long enough to fully test it, until this morning. I pulled out into a fairly small gap in traffic, trusting my TC was disabled, started to spin a little bit, continued accelerating, and after a couple of seconds, power dropped for a few seconds and then came back. I was not happy at all, it's a helpless feeling when you lose throttle control like that! No flashing lights this time, no DTC's, the light was lit on the dash telling me that traction control was disabled, and I had received the message that StabiliTrak had been disabled, so I don't know what kicked in and brought me down again, but this is annoying and dangerous!
No modern vehicle will disable stability/traction safety features fully simply due to the umm level of dummy operating vehicles and then getting lawyers when Darwin bites. Traction control off is just a increased tolerance to likely a large number of factors G loads, wheel spin, speed vs g loads, traction differences between tires vs speed, body roll vs speed.
Auto makers aren’t dumb they are leveraging computer technology to lower their court liabilities in cases of improper vehicle operations. Just be happy the steering wheel is still physically connected to the steering rack. One day soon the steering wheel with be switched to the suggestion wheel lol

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My previous Dodge Magnum Hemi would actually go into Neutral if you over-spun the tires with traction control off. You had to pull over, stop, put in park, shut it off, and restart it and try to take back off WHILE IN TRAFFIC! Real FN smart Dodge WTF. I almost got killed in a snow storm one day. I pulled out and let it eat and BOOM I'm in neutral coasting into no mans land......

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know personally there are modern systems that still allow for full disabling of the nannies.

Now, I have not ripped in my Ex, so have not seen the dangers of a complete loss of power from TC kicking in. Which seems much worse than spinning tires when one does not intend too.
I may have to try it somewhere safe and pray the '20s do not possess such stupidity by Ford Engineers.

It is not rocket science to detect the spinning, and how much, then modulate a reduction in power, through a number of means to even a gentle application of brakes, etc. to bring a vehicle back into line w/o a snap or a 5 second penalty.

STINNETT

Reaction score
I turned advance track off and traction control off and damn thing still tried to kill me by cutting power when trying to get out through a dangerous intersection. 2016 limited 4x4. Coming from F150 with no traction control it's going to get me killed. Any luck on getting both to actually be disabled until turned back on?

I bought this used. How do I see if this is some kind of MyKey bs?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gagez