Hypermiling the 3.5.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I run on the 93 performance tune and if I baby it I can get around 18. That's putting away from a stoplight and keeping it under 70 on the hwy.

Normal driving I average in the 15mpg range city/hwy

As Ive said on here before I have never bought a vehicle in my lifetime based on the fuel mileage it could get. Its just something that's never concerned me. Even when gas was $4-5 a gallon

If you try your hyper whatever you call it I'm sure even with a tune you could still get well into the 20's. Gas mileage is determined by your right foot. Even the biggest most hopped up V8's can get decent mileage if you stay out of the power

But if you do get a tune its hard to stay out of the gas. At least for me it is. I'm still amazed at the difference the 93 performance tune made on my truck over stock

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
I’m really wanting a Livernois tune but I’m concerned about the MPG hit. Obviously the extra power will encourage me to utilize it more often but on those trips when budget matters and I’m driving like grandad, will a tune be rough on my MPG?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Just get an economy and performance tune and switch between the two. That’s my plan. I still can’t convince myself to switch to 93 octane bc a lot of ppl say there’s really not a big difference mpg wise, power wise I’m sure there’s a little benefit to 93. I just plan on a straight 87 economy tune and an 87 perf/tow tune from them. That should get me way better numbers than stock, plus if I ever wanna switch to 93 I can just get that tune with their free lifetime tunes

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It can be done. On a 300 mile 95% hwy trip I was able to get some darn good numbers. But as soon as I had to get off and do some city driving, it dropped off to 22.9 but I held it there for the rest of the day. I had a decent load of audio gear speakers etc a couple of car seats but it was just me as far as passengers. Running 93 octane and cruise set to 60 mph for almost all of the trip except the very end in Indiana. Speed limit was 60 and I dropped cruise to 57 mph. Ambient temp was 25°F.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I can't drive 55! :)

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just get an economy and performance tune and switch between the two. That’s my plan. I still can’t convince myself to switch to 93 octane bc a lot of ppl say there’s really not a big difference mpg wise, power wise I’m sure there’s a little benefit to 93. I just plan on a straight 87 economy tune and an 87 perf/tow tune from them. That should get me way better numbers than stock, plus if I ever wanna switch to 93 I can just get that tune with their free lifetime tunes

The people saying that aren't tuned. Also the people saying that are cheap. But the 87/93 argument has been beat to death on here lets no rehash it

Here are the 93 perf tune numbers compared to stock. Why in the world would you not pay an extra $10 per tank of gas to get this kind of daily performance?

93p_vs_stk.jpg

Also you get 3 tunes so might as well throw the 93 on there in case you decide to give it a go. From the research Ive done the Economy tunes are BS and don't do anything. This was also told to me from a 5 Star tech. He said you're better off just going back to the stock tuning. Also swapping tunes isn't all that easy. I mean its not hard but its about a 10-15 minute process with a lot of key on key off processes and waiting for everything to upload. Do it a couple of times and it will get real old real quick. Youre better off settling on one tune and sticking with it

llhoneymoons

Reaction score
Haven't tried this with the '16 expy yet, but the first is my '08 Mountaineer & the second is my '00 accord. Didn't run out in either of those pictures. But I did, and I hate this word, literally roll into a parking spot recently with the mountaineer. Tried to take it just a little too far that time.

Like I tell my wife, "There's plenty left."

20150117_222914.jpg IMAG0370.jpg

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
BIG BIG difference between 87 and 93 tunes!!! When You have a factory tune on a car, they have tuned it to work for the cheap bastards that run 87 so that it won’t detonate. When you tune for 93 and commit to running it all the time, they can get much more aggressive with spark and boost pressure.

Also swapping tunes between the two requires a parts swap. At least if the expedition is like the explorer. The 93 performance tune on the explorer required a 3bar MAP sensor. Actually I can’t remember if the MAP was required but I know it was needed to maximize the benefits.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The real beauty of digital systems is that compared to analog, they are instantaneous...they actually aren't even close so we deal with sampling time issues all the time but compared to analog they are....so if you keep your foot out of it....gee, where have we heard this before? In one way every engine is identical.....and just like that old 4 barrel.....kick it in the ass every chance you get and you'll pour some fuel through it.....and gentle goes the way of the cheap....

Won't matter what tune you choose...you can get your higher option and drive gently....if you want to.....

not sure why the dyno doesn't show intersection at 5250 but it's early for me, I'm missing something?

jeff

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
At what miles-to-empty does the '17 Expedition light the low fuel light? It was at 50 in my '07.

-- Chuck

I believe it complains at 40 DTE. Every other car I've had set the alarm at 50 DTE.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
When I drive on the highway, I want to get where I am going ACAP. Most drivers go at least 5mph over. There is nothing worse than coming up behind some jackwagon, going 57mph in a 65. It is dangerous and illegal to impede traffic. Slowing down to save gas(hypermiling), waste time. Time is more important the a couple bucks in gas.