I got lucky with my "new" expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CBone78

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just bought my first Expedition yesterday at a crappy high mile used car lot. I might have paid a little much for it (3,500), but think it'll be worth it in the long run. Its a 99 EB 2X4 5.4 with 185,000 miles. I was a little nervous with the miles at first, but, with the exception of the drivers seat leather being a little rough, this truck is very clean, no rust, paint is nice, and more importantly runs and drives very nice.

The carfax that came with it showed it was a one owner truck that started out in florida and they moved up here to Missouri 4 years ago. That would explain why there is no rust on it. It showed all the scheduled maintenance on it at the Ford dealer in Florida, till the time they moved up here.

I did notice a local Ford dealer oil change sticker on the windshield that showed a recent oil change, so I went down to the dealer today to see if they had any service records for the last 4 years. The guy at the counter looked it up and said these people went above and beyond on all of the maintenance on this truck since they moved up here. They had just gone over it 10,000 miles ago and did a full service on it, coolant flush, transmission service, front end work, rear diff fluid change, ect. He said any repairs they had ever recommended to them were always done. It's still on its original motor, and transmission. I asked him if there was anything I needed to plan on doing to it in the next few months, and he said just drive it, it needs nothing.

There are a few things I have found that need addressed but nothing major right now. Odometer works when it feels like it. U-joints feel like they are starting to have some slop in them, but not bad yet. Looks like there is a small oil leak coming from inside the high rise intake, and the check suspension light comes on shortly after driving it, but the ride is good. I haven't noticed the compressor coming on, or it changing the ride height, so either they have already swapped out the air bags, or it is just stuck all the way at max height. It's been too wet for me to climb all the way under to see whats there, but I'll be doing that the next decent day I have.

I feel like I found a diamond in the rough, and look forward to driving it another 185,000.

Attachments

• Expe 1.jpg
    Expe 1.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 122
  • Expy 2.jpg
    Expy 2.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 121
  • Expy 3.jpg
    Expy 3.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 120
B

bedrck46

welcome Odometer is a typical problem and is an easy fix can find a video on you-tube on how to fix takes about 1-2 hours

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome and gratz on the Expy!
Pretty soon you can join many of us in the 200k+ mile club!

96mustangV6

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice buy. I have a 1998 Navi with 221k on it. Runs perfect. I bought it from Kansas City actually. Paid $4000 with 180,000 miles on it. Not a problem with it. Selling cause I upgraded to a 2003 Navi.

I live down by Lake of the Ozarks. If your ever down this way and need help just holler.

captainjko

Reaction score
OP
OP
C

CBone78

Reaction score
Thanks everyone,

Its been getting a lot colder lately and I found a pretty good size crack in the top of the dash this morning. Oh well, as long as it keeps running good, that's all I really care about.

My main project right now is my wifes 08 durango. The Hemi blew a head gasket.