I need REAL audio/ video help. Installing iPad Mini in dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yoop33

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's what I have, and then what I want to have...
Stock 2008 Limited with Nav and rear DVD. (NO SYNC)

What I am wanting to do is KEEP the factory HU but relocated it to retain rear DVD and steering wheel controls. I would like to add a Bluetooth system and install the iPad in the space where the HU was moved from. I want it to look as stock as possible and would like to be able to remove the mini in and out of its space. I do not need the device to be charged while in its docked space. The Bluetooth unit will ONLY be used to transfer sound from the mini to the HU/ Speakers. That is all. I do not need a display for calls or phone book.

If possible I would like to add another Bluetooth unit for my phone with Siri capabilities but I'm not worried about that now.

Does anyone have experience with this technology? I am not worried about getting the unit into the dash, I can get that done. I want to know if I can keep my HU, relocate it, add a Bluetooth module and retain rear DVD and steering wheel controls.

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I want to know if I can keep my HU, relocate it, add a Bluetooth module and retain rear DVD and steering wheel controls.

Yes. But why not go aftermarket when you can have all of those features with a new radio. Sony has a new unit that allows you to control it through bluetooth with an app. Most people doing iPad installs that wanna do it the easy way are using this radio.

OP
OP
Yoop33

Yoop33

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes. But why not go aftermarket when you can have all of those features with a new radio. Sony has a new unit that allows you to control it through bluetooth with an app. Most people doing iPad installs that wanna do it the easy way are using this radio.

Ohhhhhhh.... I like..... Good lookin out, Brother.. Imma have to look into this one. The one on Sony's site is pretty sick looking and not badly priced compared to what I have had in the past. But I have gotten so annoyed with digging around and looking for stuff to work that I started looking for a truck with SYNC and found one not far... So I may just go get that one and save myself the headache. We shall see

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ohhhhhhh.... I like..... Good lookin out, Brother.. Imma have to look into this one. The one on Sony's site is pretty sick looking and not badly priced compared to what I have had in the past. But I have gotten so annoyed with digging around and looking for stuff to work that I started looking for a truck with SYNC and found one not far... So I may just go get that one and save myself the headache. We shall see

Look into the PAC RP4-FD11... that's the harness I used. Kept my AUX input, my audio output from my DVD player, and gave me sub output for the factory sub.

The Sony should be in the low 100s cost-wise.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not only sony but pioneer...kenwood...everyone is making them like that now...but if you REALLY want to do it...hit up JTKUSTOM or JTKUSTOMS...he did it himself last summer

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Last I checked, Pioneer and Kenwood did not have actual apps that can fully control their radios. The Sony one actually lets you do tuner and other radio functions over the iPad.

Jump straight to 4 minutes in the linked video below. They'll be pulling a 300C into the bay. It shows them doing the install using this radio. I was a bit off on the price though... looks like its around 200.
http://youtu.be/qX_N7OSJkbI?t=4m

Last edited:
OP
OP
Yoop33

Yoop33

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Checked out this 2010 Expe Limited with Sync today and it was nice but something just didn't seem right. Between not having the proper steering wheel controls and being somewhat to straight forward, I decided to keep my truck and look into just upgrading the HU.

JTKustoms

Full Access Members
Reaction score
not only sony but pioneer...kenwood...everyone is making them like that now...but if you REALLY want to do it...hit up JTKUSTOM or JTKUSTOMS...he did it himself last summer

thats some good advice lol