I think all Expedition years are the same

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LocDoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When is it dtoppin...thats what im waitin for lol. Do you happen to know some expected features or upgrades.

Are you asking about the new upcoming fourth generation Expedition? Only a few features and design specifications are known to be fact, other features that are expected to be included on the next Expedition are speculated, due to relevance to the program and their release along the same time frame as the next Expedition.

The three previous generation Expeditions were developed under the UN93, U222, and U324 (U354 for long wheelbase variant) program codenames respectively (in that order). The next Expedition’s program codename is unknown at this time, so we’ll just call it "Uxxx" for now. The program codename will probably be released when development is finished.

The Uxxx is currently under development, and Ford is expected to make a public announcement concerning the full-size SUV sometime next year, if not sooner. A unveiling to the public is also expected next year. Uxxx is scheduled to enter production and subsequently go on sale in 2017, presumably for the 2018 model year. Know that product scheduling is always flexible, as unknown or unforeseen factors can decide if the Uxxx's release is advanced or delayed.

What is known about the Uxxx:

-It will stay body-on-frame based on the 2015 Ford F-150

-The frame will be a modified version of the 2015 F-150’s frame which uses over 70 percent of high-strength steel, and features hydroformed fully-boxed construction

-A revised four-wheel independent suspension system will be offered

-Uxxx will get Ford’s new 10-speed 10R80 automatic transmission

-Uxxx will feature a body made from heavy-duty 5000 and 6000-Series T4 aluminium

-Updated EcoBoost V-6

What is speculated about the Uxxx:

-New EcoBeast V-6, possibly V-8

-New Lion V-6 turbo diesel

-Introduction of the Terrain Management System from the upcoming 2017 SVT Raptor

-Rear inflatable safety belt airbags

-Curve Control

-New Sync 3 (replaces MyFord Touch) touch screen infotainment system

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Man thats a long wait time. Theres a few things that i Hope ford focuses on for the new one for it to reach its full potential:

1. Interior packaging-the interior jus doesnt feel as Roomy as before in the second row. Its based on the f150 which has great sec row room, i know its for good third row room but does itthe middle row seat have to be so low

2. Interior materials-after being in many newer vehicles, its abysmal for the money your paying even used

3. Strucure-the current body shimmies too much. Dont know if 15 models shake on bumps but the shimmies alter what is otherwise one of the smoothest rides offered on a vehicle today.

good idea for a new thread thread, i wonder what other peoples wishlist is.for the next expo.

LocDoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Those who are happy with the interior design and quality of the new 2015 F-150 will like the 2017 Expedition’s interior. A new high-quality interior is coming, that’s a given.

Packaging will be slightly different, more space saving, but as for the middle row, being low, that’s mainly due to the floor pan being the same height for the first and second rows. Also, consumers like the "theater style" seating that allows third row occupants to see forward. Raising the middle row would block forward visibility for third row occupants.

New techniques in the structural rigidity will be applied; the new frame with use of ultra high-strength steels like boron, and body made from alloyed aluminim will feel more solid and less likely to shimmy and shake.

The current frame and body configuration of the current third-generation Expedition (U324) dates back to 2007, with the 2015 refresh being tweaked and improved slightly.

So the four-generation Expedition (Uxxx) will offered new levels of driving dynamics and comfort, not really seen with the Expedition since 2007.

That being said, the current 2015 Expedition (which still rides on the T1 platform) was praised by both Motor Trend and Car and Driver for having better ride quality and handling than the 2015 Tahoe (which is all-new). Says a lot about the current T1 platform, when its been around since 2007 but can still can outperform newer platforms.

Pappy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Based on some of the info here, it sounds like Gen 2 mirrors will fit a Gen 1 door. I realize the wiring for power/heat/signals may be different. But for the price difference, I'd rewire and install Gen 2 telescoping tow mirrors on my '02 "Dish" - ASSUMING they'd bolt on and fit right.

OP
OP
Manlavi95

Manlavi95

Reaction score
Based on some of the info here, it sounds like Gen 2 mirrors will fit a Gen 1 door. I realize the wiring for power/heat/signals may be different. But for the price difference, I'd rewire and install Gen 2 telescoping tow mirrors on my '02 "Dish" - ASSUMING they'd bolt on and fit right.

This is the kind of thing I'm going for.

Joe Befumo

Reaction score
Hi Folks!
Will be picking up my 2002 Expedition XLT, 5.4L in about 5 hours. YAY! 66k Carfax confirmed miles. Previous owner was .. well, sloppy. 2nd and 3rd rows are pristine. Front ... not so much. He/she also cut some extra (and extra sloppy) holes in the door panels for tweeters, drilled a hole in the dash for a USB connector to the radio, etc., and the seats are kinda funky. What I'm wondering is whether any of those front interior parts are interchangeable with their second-generation counterparts? Figured it might be easier to find in better shape from newer vehicles. Lincoln Navigator interior parts would be great if THEY could be made to fit. Thanks! Joe

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
You should have no trouble finding clean 1st generation panels. When I junked my 2000 with 250K miles, the interior was perfect. Unless they're mistreated, the panels should be fine. And if you want to go for the bucks, The Seat Shop makes excellent NOS-type replacement seat upholstery for your truck. Good luck with it.