I think I can buff it out...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As for the Expedition, it’s a limited so no active grill shutters, but everything on the front end will have to be replaced other than the hood, drivers side fog light and the drivers side fender. Even the driver side headlight is broken. And for the mechanical damage, the rad, some of the hoses and elbows, the intercooler, possibly the cooling fans, and the air intake tube are what I can see damaged.

Similar parts list for me as well, except the passenger headlamp was fine. Mine was leaking coolant as well, don’t remember if it was intercooler and radiator or what. The list of parts was several pages long. Also needed an AC compressor. Mine they used 100% new OEM parts. They couldn’t source parts from a 2019 or newer Platinum with 5K miles, and nobody makes aftermarket parts it seems.

Plati

Reaction score
I had to drive slow and dodge deer groups 3 times on the way home Thanksgiving night going around Honeoye Falls and Mendon Ponds. When you see one, you know there are several more right behind it! I think we should pay people to hunt them not charge for a permit. Pretty sure this time of year they wait for sunset to start moving around. My brother in law has hit them 7 times so far.

OP
OP
Randy_270

Randy_270

Reaction score
Huh. I thought all 2018+ Expys had active grilles? Also, are there any potent grill/bumper guards that really work on new Expys?

looking through my pictures, I think you’re right and it does have grill shutters. They’re just so mangled and got lost in the pile of other broken parts that I didn’t see them. Thanks for pointing that out!

I am definitely considering getting a grill guard now, if I can’t find something I like, I got a welder buddy that can make me one!

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's a pretty nice grill guard. It's nice that it keeps the tow hooks. I've seen some that mount where the tow hooks are. Maybe not a big deal, but I'd like to keep the tow hooks.

The other issue is, I've seen some of the grill guards actually cause more damage depending on what they hit and how.

Anyway....I like it!

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a thread hijack (?), but not sure how sturdy RHs are and the weight penalty is double that of a winch. They look kind of lost on stock Expys IMHO unless lifted and Overlanded out a bit. I've owned a few and dealt with a few but never from a personal hit.

They are priced right...

But, if I was to wild-ass guess, from the design, a lot of the outside might fold in and damage expensive stuff at speeds above 30 mph depending on the critter. Which... probably would have got damaged anyway. Don't know how well it would protect the radiator, intercoolers, and such. Further, expect the nose to droop at least 1/2 inch or more (from my test) and fuel mileage to also droop.

IMHO, someone needs to remove the lower valence and develop something both modern and useful... which will probably never happen on a production scale.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a Setina police pusher bar. Doesn’t wrap around the lights, but bolts on in 4 places and protects (hopefully) the functional bits in a collision.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FYI, the Stealth headlamps are twice the cost of the platinum ones (~ $1800 each). I had to have mine replaced after a lady hit me. Body shop was shocked at the cost difference.

The Stealth ones are de-chromed and tinted.

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FYI, the Stealth headlamps are twice the cost of the platinum ones (~ $1800 each). I had to have mine replaced after a lady hit me. Body shop was shocked at the cost difference.

The Stealth ones are de-chromed and tinted.

According to the body shop that repaired my front end after I hit a deer, the drivers side lamp for my Platinum was $1,6667. Not quite the $1,800, but certainly not half either.

IMO that grill guard wouldn’t do sh*t against a deer. As another said, it might actually do more harm than good. Not just that one, all of them.