I think my transfer case just grenaded itself

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jerzeyscrew

Reaction score
I was walking the dog late tonight, when I noticed a huge puddle under my 2000 Expedition. I checked every possible level under the hood and everything looks good (Oil, Trans, brake, Power steering,and cooling) After feeling perplexed I remembered the transfer case. I cannot get all the way under the truck because of the running boards and my advanced weight. I also had to have the flywheel replaced in the spring and I think it involved moving the Transfer case and transmission. Could this be the case, could the transfer case just leak like that? What would be your next move, is it drive-able?

Plati

Reaction score
Look at the fluid, what kind of fluid is it?
Ask a smaller person to roll under vehicle and look.
One big leak ... or slow leak in multiple spots on driveway?
What location of puddle wrt vehicle ... front back middle side?

Get a better reading before driving ...

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Floor jacks are made for guys like you and me. They don't call me Moose cause I'm little. It should be pretty obvious when you get on that creeper or cardboard, and check it out. Transfer case uses tranny fluid so red, front diff uses gear oil, so dark and smelly oil!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
jerzeyscrew

jerzeyscrew

Reaction score
Ok, great! it's definitely not red. I've been under there 3 times today. The only thing I found was a light brown fluid coming from the cross member. Where it originates from is anyone's guess. I'm having a buddy/mechanic look at it at work. Thanks for the replies.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it gets tough to locate, drive it to the car wash, spray down the whole area, sprinkle some baby powder around the suspect area, the oil will cling near leaking area. Thats what we used to do.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Its not the transfer case. It uses gear oil. Your 4x4 indicator will flash if there is a problem. The AC will drip water, just behind the left front tire, near the windshield. There are drains for the sunroof, they run down the A-pillar. If partially clogged will slow drip.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Idk about 1st gens but my 3rd gen transfer case uses Mercon transmission fluid not gear oil. If it’s light brown it could be trans fluid that’s dirty. That being said a transfer case normally doesn’t just start leaking everywhere.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry Rj but J Expedition is correct, transfer case takes tranny fluid not gear oil. The differential takes gear oil though heavy and smelly with age, sorta like me at 63!