Ideas for a new Grille

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZombieSoldier

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you are handy with a rattle can, check this out.

Get a few gallons of bleach. Put in a bath tub. Take grille off and soak it in the bleach overnight. After the bath, take a toothbrush and scrub the chrome areas. It should have all dissolved off, if not let it soak for a few more hours. Once it is all off, clean the grille real good, let it dry. Primer the whole thing using plastic primer. Then get some duplicolor spray paint that is the same as your truck ( or order the spray paint through the dealership). First coat don't worry about complete coverage. Within 10 minutes do a good coat let it flash for 10 minutes. Then repeat untill desired effect. Let it sit for an hour before clearing it. With the clear make it look like it is flowing, but not running. Repeat a few times. Don't worry about runs. Let it sit for a few hours after clearing it to let it cure. Once cured take some 1000-1200 grit WET SAND sandpaper and take care of any runs or dirt stuck in the paint. Dry it. Then take some meguires or mothers polish and a microfiber towel and polish it out. Done. Reinstall. Don't put any wax on it for a few weeks to allow it to out gas the paint.

OP
OP
M

mjniss

Reaction score
Thanks everyone.
@rick chitown....thanks for the pic. Love the look. So your '10 came with body color grille? All you did was black out the door handles? Do the door handles match the body color? Did you do it yourself?
Mike

rick chitown

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.
@rick chitown....thanks for the pic. Love the look. So your '10 came with body color grille? All you did was black out the door handles? Do the door handles match the body color? Did you do it yourself?
Mike

here's my creative engineering to black out my handles (without spending hardly anything, and easily reversible)... black vinyl overlay. I don't have a close up pic of them, but it's literally just a black sticker, yes. And obviously, I did myself.. I can get a pic if you want.

BlackEL2011

Reaction score
2011 EL limited looking for body colored replacement

Some one else on the site steered me to this grille ready for painting for ~$65
http://www.autopartsdeal.com/catalo...1+Ford+Expedition+Replacement+Grille+Assembly
However I am very intrigued by the bleach idea and paint what I have. I'm going to get a MACCO quote to paint mine from chrome to tuxedo black met and one for the $65 grille and then decide how brave I am to bleach stripe and paint myself. Also like the idea of the vynls for the handles. Has anyone found someone who sells a black out rear gate panel above the license plate, although that might be a candidate for the bleach technique.

jered22

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some one else on the site steered me to this grille ready for painting for ~$65
Auto Parts and Accessories Catalog - 2011 ford expedition replacement grille assembly - 2011 Ford Expedition Replacement Grille Assembly
However I am very intrigued by the bleach idea and paint what I have. I'm going to get a MACCO quote to paint mine from chrome to tuxedo black met and one for the $65 grille and then decide how brave I am to bleach stripe and paint myself. Also like the idea of the vynls for the handles. Has anyone found someone who sells a black out rear gate panel above the license plate, although that might be a candidate for the bleach technique.

The only problem with this grill is that it fits Limited's only. I sent them an email and asked and that is what they told me. Not sure what the front end difference of an XLT to Limited is but I guess there is a difference.

RI-Matt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only problem with this grill is that it fits Limited's only. I sent them an email and asked and that is what they told me. Not sure what the front end difference of an XLT to Limited is but I guess there is a difference.

No difference in grill other than all the others are chrome grill not painted.

Matt

loe454

Reaction score
Now I did take inspiration for this from somewhere. On the extreme end of modding for Buick Regal GS there is version of the GS called the GSX. And they it looks HOT. The easiest way to know one is the unmistakable "GSX" grill.