idle and suspected cb issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey guys, just bought a dumpster fire of an expedition; but i want to make this beast a beauty. firstly, it leaked water into the cab, rust on the roof. second the high beams are locked on. third the door barring situation which some people have already posted about. fourth, a suspected egr valve leak. Last a CB join that pops when i shift into reverse after parking. Just wondering if any of you might have a trick to know if the egr is the reason for rough idle. its intermittent and idles at 500 rpm and when given gas struggles to rise without the whole engine shaking. Is it egr? or could it be the ignition coil?

Vincent Vega

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It could be several things, but yes, a jacked EGR will cause rough idle and/or stalling. Other things could include plugs/coils, vacuum leaks (i.e. the pcv), bad injector, injector connector unplugged or broken, mass airflow sensor dirty. If you have a 2005 or later Gen 2 Exp, the timing chains, guides, and VCT valves might be a problem, less likely if you have a 2004 or earlier. I posted the EGR and related parts link for parts.ford.com below for a 2004, which is what I have, just to give you a start and not knowing what year you have. They have free shipping and usually deliver within a couple days, and the parts actually work. Good luck.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any DTC codes in the OBDII ? You should notice a difference in idle when you apply a vacuum to the EGR valve. So apply a vacuum, then take the vacuum away and see what it does. More often that DPFE sensor craps out and screws up the vacuum signal to the EGR. For roof leaks remove the cargo rails on each side and inspect for rust holes under the rails. If you have a sunroof, the drains are notorious for clogging. Run some weed eater line down through the drain tubes. JB Weld works great for patching up roof rust holes.

DPFE sensor ....
DPFE15-FRO__ra_p.jpg

OP
OP
E
Reaction score
from what i can tell its a bit more complicated than EGR. a mechanic i talked to told me that it might be the IAC; but for some reason after a while the idle evens out, then it starts leaking gas from under the engine by the oil drain plug. the wobble seems to be from the wheel hub assembly barring. do you guys know where the gas leak might be coming from? how do i go about applying a vaccum to the egr? do i remove the top hose and plug the pipe? and is there any way to replace the hub barring without replacing the entire hub? This thing is giving me headaches, but ill get it back to normal.

its a 03 5.4L, and apparently the hub issue is common with this year. i know with my focus i could input a combo of button presses and knob turns to pull up issues on the dash display. does anyone know how to access this with this truck? it would be helpful. if not i'm stuck buying a code reader, because no auto store around here loans one to check.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E
Reaction score
For roof leaks remove the cargo rails on each side and inspect for rust holes under the rails. If you have a sunroof, the drains are notorious for clogging. Run some weed eater line down through the drain tubes. JB Weld works great for patching up roof rust holes.

DPFE sensor ....

as it stands with the leak issue, i threw flex tape that matched the color of the truck on. hasn't leaked yet

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Buy a good code reader. Sounds like with this project you're going to need one. ForScan is free but you need a laptop to run it on and a USB OBDII adapter. Do you have a laptop ? ForScan Website
For the fuel leak check the supply line where the rail connects to the main feed line there on the driver's side near the firewall.
Is this a 4x4 ? The bearing and hub are one unit. I wouldn't drive it till you fix the wheel bearing issue or you'll trash the spindle.

USB OBDII Adapter on Amazon

Last edited:
OP
OP
E
Reaction score
No, its 2wd, and I was worried that the barring might be causing more issues. i really appriciate your input. I'll look into a usb cable for my laptop.