I'm buying an Expedition, suggestions and knowledge please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

muffy

Reaction score
Good day all!

I've decided to buy an Expedition- I need an SUV to haul 9000 pounds of trailer. Thought I'd ask for help from the experts.

I'm going to be using it in the south eastern U. S., in an area bounded by say Memphis- Tampa- Richmond. Reliability is the first requirement- hauling horses, so I can't take much chance of being stuck on the road. With that weight, I know I'll need the heavy duty tow package and I need 4x4 too. I want it to last me a long time, like 15 or 20 years.

First, I'm caught up with the choice between a newish used one- 2017s off lease are running $25.000 or so- and a decent older one- 2010s are running about $10,000 with 100,000 miles or so.

Is it worth while to pay so much more for the newer ones? Aren't a 2010 and a 2017 basically the same truck? I have the impression that these just go on forever as long as they are well maintained, am I wrong? I'm sure the new ones have more electronic comforts and conveniences, but those don't matter so much to me- I'm a bit of a digital dinosaur.

I'm assuming there's no reason but more size to buy an XL, so I figure the regular one is fine for me- less weight to haul. But correct me if I'm wrong.

Second, are there known things to watch out for? Like, "The 2016s with the xp-7 widgets are prone to the #5 cylinder valve cracking", or something like that?

OP
OP
M

muffy

Reaction score
I've read through the "what to look for" sticky as basic research.

WifeyExpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We have a 2016 kid hauler for my wife. At first I was leery of the 6 banger and two-wheel drive. I am no longer leery of either. The Expy flies and we were more than happy with 2WD.

I hauled my dad's very big and heavy 23 foot ski boat for winterization and had no issues.

The newer models have better features then older one. Spend the extra money. A 25k off lease '17 would cost 39k if it had Tahoe or Yukon label.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
9,000 pounds of what kind of trailer? Any year 07-17’ with HD tow has good pulling power and same capacity. However you will normally run out of payload before you reach max towing capacity. The 9,000 is not usually attainable because that’s assuming you have zero weight in the truck. Put in gear, people, tongue weight and your out of capacity well before 9k. If you will be towing that kind of weight consistently I’d suggest skipping the Expedition and going right up to a gas 6.2L F-250.

It’s up to you and what your budget consists of. They are generally reliable trucks and go a long way when maintained. 17’ will have the most little features along with the benefit of maintenance not being due. Obviously a higher trim 2010 or so will be fancier than a 17’ XLT for the money. The 5.4L Triton was used from 07-14’ and 3.5 EcoBoost from 15-17’ both being coupled to the 6 speed. Neither will have issue with pulling 6-7K pounds behind them as these have a lot of torque. Be mindful of this chassis and it’s limitations because you are right at the cusp.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

muffy

Reaction score
Thank you- I know I'm on the edge with the tow weight, and I'm weighing both the truck and the trailer.

Is there any reason to choose the Triton over the Ecoboost or vice versa?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you- I know I'm on the edge with the tow weight, and I'm weighing both the truck and the trailer.

Is there any reason to choose the Triton over the Ecoboost or vice versa?

All sorts of different opinions on this subject. The EcoBoost is turbocharged and therefore torque is very low in the rev range, it will tend to use fewer RPMs towing. The 5.4L torque peaks relatively low for a V8 in the 3K RPM range but not as low so up a grade it will use some more revs. In the end it’s preference, if you want to hear a V8 when you hit the gas get the Triton. If you want instant torque get the Ecoboost. Both engines tow like a dream they just do it slightly different. If you go for the 5.4L I’d recommend a 3.73 gear ratio.....but that’s included on 4WD HD tow models anyway. The two are rated within 1-2 MPG of each other so fuel usage is negligible slightly in favor of the Eco. Towing mpg is slightly in favor of the Triton but again negligible.

Last edited:

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am probably stating the obvious, but you are right at the upper limit of the expy towing limits, the EL expedition has a tow capacity a bit lower than the regular Expedition, so if you dont need the extra space go for a regular expedition and get the higher towing capacity, you definately need the heavy duty towing package. from 2009 onwards I don't think there have been any major issues with the expy prior to that there where issues with spark plugs, can chain tensioners, etc!! Watch your tongue weight!!

Gary

Mean_Dean

Reaction score
My 2017 Limited EL is rated at 9800 for towing with the HD package, I would recommend a different vehicle with a bit higher rating if you are going to pull 9000 on a regular basis. You can get an F-150 rated for 13K pounds.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
17 EL 4x2 with HD tow is rated for 9300 pounds a 4x4 is rated just 100 pounds less at 9200 pounds. You're really looking at super duty territory for 9k pounds though unless only very occasionally towing on flat ground. As others have said, payload will be your limiting factor. If you are looking at a 9k pound rv trailer, plan on 1k pounds of tongue weight. With a WDH the expedition is only rated for 920 pounds of hitch weight.

As for motors, I've owned and pulled the same 6k pound trailer with both and will say the ecoboost is the stronger motor by a mile or three. The 5.4 is a good truck motor but highway cruising with a heavy load will keep you in lower gears and pulling high rpms on any hill. The ecoboost with 3.73 gears hardly breaks a sweat but will get 8-9mpg towing so be ready for that. You'll want the EL for a heavy trailer because it will control sway better due to its longer wheelbase. All thar being said, 9k pounds is too heavy for an expedition if you plan on having anything inside other than a driver. The IRS is soft and requires a good WDH hitch to level the truck. Payload includes hitch weight so keep that in mind.

Also, are we talking about a 9k pound GVWR trailer, or is that the dry rating? Some of these larger trailers have cargo capacities exceeding 2k pounds, so if you came in at an actual weight closer to 8k you'd be a lot better off. Still a lot of tongue weight though.