Impact of Heavy Duty Tow Package (w/ 3.73 axle ratio) on MPG gas mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bushpilot

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bow to you sir. That sounds like an honest fuel mileage report. I love the 6.7 but I have not had a diesel get over 20 honest MPG no matter what brand since my 2003 Cummins. You know the three things guys like to lie about? 1-How much they payed for the truck. 2- the size of their junk 3-how good their fuel mileage is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Fozzy - you should hang around an RV park...more MPG lies told there (cummins guys seem to be the worst) that anywhere...im on one forum now where someone claims 22mpg when towing his 30' 5th wheel.

ill assume most folk cant do simple division to determine actual mpg - cause their lies are so bold NO ONE believes 'em!

On my 2004 (6.0L) I had 3.73 rears and installed a GearVendors Double-Over drive...in the end it was the death of the 5r110 tranny...it was a lot of fun on the interstate....right in the rpm/torque curve sweet spot at 80...but it lugged the motor below 70....I could get 22mpg outta that truck (and had a 50g tank in the bed....gave me a tank to tank range of over 2000 miles (wife hated road trips in that truck).

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2018 Max, no HD tow package. Wouldn't have it, as my boat is under 4000#. I average a bit over 20MPG, much better on the highway. The tow package is recommended only if you tow more than 6000#. Doesn't make sense to me to pay more for something you don't need that hurts fuel mileage.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a 2018 Max, no HD tow package. Wouldn't have it, as my boat is under 4000#. I average a bit over 20MPG, much better on the highway. The tow package is recommended only if you tow more than 6000#. Doesn't make sense to me to pay more for something you don't need that hurts fuel mileage.

Cause you get an ELSD, 3.73 gears and a low range. Oh and a bigger Radiator.

Yours a 4x4?

Average more than 20MPG, according to hand calculations or the Computer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cause you get an E Locker, 3.73 gears and a low range. Oh and a bigger Radiator.

Yours a 4x4?

Average more than 20MPG, according to hand calculations or the Computer?

Mine is all wheel drive, which makes sense as the wheelbase is really too long to be a fully capable rock crawler. I can get where I need to go to hunt archery elk, which is what really matters. Don't need a low range with the 10-speed transmission, cooling isn't an issue, so I'm good.

Hand calculated, mixed city/highway, drive like a grandpa. 63MPH on the freeway, not in a hurry. No BS. The computer is about 5% optimistic.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mine is all wheel drive, which makes sense as the wheelbase is really too long to be a fully capable rock crawler. I can get where I need to go to hunt archery elk, which is what really matters. Don't need a low range with the 10-speed transmission, cooling isn't an issue, so I'm good.

Hand calculated, mixed city/highway, drive like a grandpa. 63MPH on the freeway, not in a hurry. No BS. The computer is about 5% optimistic.

HaHa, on the Low Range. Still improves the Torque and crawl ratio. Not rock crawling either. Yes, 10 Spd helps, because you can have a lower 1st and more OD’s, but it does not take the place of a true Low.

Nice on the MPG. I like the skinny pedal, so I will never see that. Nice to know it is capable of it!

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You would be pulled over or rear ended on our freeways at 63. The interstate is 70 in towns and 80 on the open road. Belt loops are 70 now. Cruising at 80 MPH kills fuel mileage. I mentioned my old 2003 Cummins would get 20 MPG. Speed limit was 65 and you would chance it by going 69 MPH. I pull my boat at 80 and don’t even think about it. Makes me wonder if I still had that truck and ran it at 80 what it would get. Every Cummins since would get 13 mpg up a hill, around a hill or down a hill.

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I stay in the right two lanes. People blow my doors off, but I'm cool with that. Speed limits here are 70MPH, 80MPH on the Interstates outside of metro areas. I don't use my brakes much, either.:)

If I can't get somewhere in 1st gear and AWD, I get out and hike. Using the quads God gave me.

Last edited:

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You would be pulled over or rear ended on our freeways at 63. The interstate is 70 in towns and 80 on the open road. Belt loops are 70 now. Cruising at 80 MPH kills fuel mileage. I mentioned my old 2003 Cummins would get 20 MPG. Speed limit was 65 and you would chance it by going 69 MPH. I pull my boat at 80 and don’t even think about it. Makes me wonder if I still had that truck and ran it at 80 what it would get. Every Cummins since would get 13 mpg up a hill, around a hill or down a hill.

Until recently (last 2-3 years), max towing speed in most states was 55.

I grew up towing large construction machinery -- Mid-70's International Loadstar dumptruck, flatbed trailer, and International backhoe loader (Yes, my family liked International products as we also had tons of Scouts). I was raised to tow slow then and I still do.

I stay in the right lane and maintain my 55-60 speed all day now with my camper.

Last edited: