In AC mode.. air temp out of vents constant - but fan speed will change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wrangler6061

Reaction score
2007 Expedition - Eddie Bauer edition (with the separate numeric/digital temp settings for driver and passenger.). Once the car cools down.. the temp coming out of the AC vents is always 48 degrees.. regardless of what the temp setting is set to...Example.. if the inside of the car is really hot.. and driver/passenger settings are at 65 degrees.. and I click the "auto" button.. it will blow at max fan speed until the interior cools down (eventually getting down to 48 degrees out of the vent).. Then.. if I raise the temp setting for driver and passenger to a "comfortable" 72 degrees.. the vent temp is still 48 degrees.. but it WILL eventually choose a slower fan speed. Is this working as designed or should the vehicle "try" to maintain the temp coming out of the vent to match the temp setting (72 degrees in my example). Sorry for the long explanation - I hope this describes the problem! Just wondering if there is a cheap sensor that I need to replace.. Given the age of the vehicle and the mileage (130,000) I won't dump a bunch of money into fixing this problem since the ac DOES work/cool. Maybe I'm expecting too much out of a 2007 vehicle that was probably designed back in 2005 ;-) Thanks!

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I find that mine blows considerably warmer air when set to 65 rather than 60. No idea why but always has and doesnt seem to be an issue.

That being said 48 seems like a somewhat high temp for vent outlet unless it's just scoring hot outside and you're not using the recirculation mode. I believe auto turns off recirc when you select it but can turn it back on.

I dont think I've paid enough attention to whether air temp actually changes or not but I know on occasion if it's a longer drive and I get chilly and bump up to 65-68 the airflow drops dramatically, I think to just let the vehicle rise to the temp desired naturally rather than commanding heat be brought in. When its sunny that happens fairly quickly. I'm sure there is some logic somewhere w outside air temp sensor and such as to what precisely occurs. Seems sensible to me anyway and if I were an engineer how I would approach an efficient solution.

That 07 was probably designed in the late 90s being it's a revised 03 for the most part. 130k is nothing for this platform if taken care of. I imagine worst case maybe it's a blend door issue but I wouldn't bet on anything really being wrong.

OP
OP
W

wrangler6061

Reaction score
Aspen03.. thanks! So.. this might be working as designed.. but.. you are suggesting that the coldest temp out of the vent (recirc on) should get colder than 48.. I may have my local shop check things out as I don't have AC gauges. I will check out my other vehicles to see how cold the vents get on them..