In the market for a 15 expy - need advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flashran

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Recently relocated to the US from the UK and finally have an excuse for a large car.

The Expedition really fits around most of our requirements but we debating if we want limited or platinum.

Currently, in our area, we have a 15 CPO Platinum for around $35k with 46k miles (including the optional 22" tires with CCD and control trac) and was imported from Canada a couple of months ago. and the other is 15 Limited for $30k with 79k miles including 301A equipment group, BLIS and control trac.

I guess my question is which one sounds like the better deal, assuming both are in good mechanical order.

Does it make sense to pre-inspect the CPO one?

Thanks in advance

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
From what I've seen, you pay roughly $1,000 more for every 10,000 lower mileage on these used trucks. With the Internet these days, sellers seem to step in line with pricing and "deals" are harder to find.

As you've probably reasoned, you either spend money on car payments or on repair parts. On this premise and in my personal view, I'd buy the best I could reasonably afford without taking on debt. That's the lowest mileage, newest car.

Since the pricing of both seem to be in line with their mileage, the variable is condition and warranty. Inspect both cars to ascertain that they've been maintained and haven't been in accidents. Then compare any warranty coverage you're offered.

I can't offer much opinion on option packages -- they're a personal preference. If you really like certain equipment, go for it. If you're indifferent about a particular option, it just become another liability waiting to break and costing money to fix.

Good luck on your choice.

OP
OP
F

flashran

Reaction score
From what I've seen, you pay roughly $1,000 more for every 10,000 lower mileage on these used trucks. With the Internet these days, sellers seem to step in line with pricing and "deals" are harder to find.

As you've probably reasoned, you either spend money on car payments or on repair parts. On this premise and in my personal view, I'd buy the best I could reasonably afford without taking on debt. That's the lowest mileage, newest car.

Since the pricing of both seem to be in line with their mileage, the variable is condition and warranty. Inspect both cars to ascertain that they've been maintained and haven't been in accidents. Then compare any warranty coverage you're offered.

I can't offer much opinion on option packages -- they're a personal preference. If you really like certain equipment, go for it. If you're indifferent about a particular option, it just become another liability waiting to break and costing money to fix.

Good luck on your choice.

Thanks Trainmaster,

I do lean towards the Platinum but notice the infamous paint bubbling on the tailgate.

Not that bad though (a couple spots on the inside) but not sure if I'll be able to convince the dealer to fix it before selling it or lowering the price.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought a loaded '17 EL XLT in your area this past Spring with less than 14K miles for roughly the same price as your '15 Platinum. Prices in that area tend to be expensive. You need to work hard to get the best deal. I would buy the lowest mileage truck I could find. Fortunately there is a good supply of Expeditions and Navigators in your area. Take your time and shop until you get the best truck at the best price.

I would avoid anything imported from Canada. I looked at several and they tend to have rust. One dealer admitted this has been a problem with Canadian imports in our area. Inspect it underneath regardless.

Ps4acc88

Reaction score
What's the difference between a limited and platinum? I'm more familiar with 07-14s and in those, the top dogs were the limited and king ranch. Did they just slap a platinum tag on the limited and remove some options from the limited to make it inferior?

I been kicking the idea of of a 15-17 expy, but hard to pull the trigger when they are so similar to the 07-14s. A few things are different, including the motor, but when compared to a 15 tahoe, the tahoe is so much more updated.

Yes, the 18s are an option but at near 70k for all the bells and whistles it makes the 15-17 tahoe more appealing

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Having experienced both a 2009 and a 2017, I can tell you there are plenty of differences that make it worthwhile (at least to me). I love the newer Synch3 touch screen, Bluetooth integration, Sony premium sound system, the new instrument cluster, automatic climate control, transmission shifting options, and the new powertrain.

Also, based on some of the reviews I've seen the 2018 Expedition is now a "best in class" vehicle. Ford really stepped up to the plate and both it and the Navigator beat even the newest Tahoe/Suburban and even its sibling the Escalade (when compared to the new Navigator).

OP
OP
F

flashran

Reaction score
I’ve looked into the 17 XLT but it’s missing some key saftey features that are a must.

The 15 platinum I’ve saw is a camadanian import, I’ll check it for rust if I’ll decide to go that route or any other expedition. Thanks for the heads up star-art.

I don’t think I’ve seen yet an expy without the bubbling paint. Would you stay away from ones with this issue?

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only safety feature I can think of that might be missing is BLIS. That is optional even on Limited models but it's standard on Platinum. (It's also available on XLT even though I've never seen one that had it.) Other than that, safety should be the same as far as I know. Same airbags, stability control, etc.

Some things you *can't* get on an XLT include:
  • Push-button start
  • Rain-sensing wipers
  • Projector headlamps
  • Power running boards
  • CCD suspension

As for bubbling paint, from what I've read, Ford refuses to take responsibility for this. If you buy a truck that has it, you may not get anywhere with Ford having it fixed. You may have to find someone with expertise on prepping aluminum for paint adhesion and get those parts repainted yourself.

Also, I posted in another thread about problems with the leather seat design on the Platinum. The "Agate Tuxedo Stripe" they added doesn't wear well on the driver's side seat bottom. Sliding in and out of the seat causes the finish to come off the leather rather quickly.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Go drive a 17 and you will notice it is very different than the 14 and earlier. The dash is a huge step up with sync 3 and the new IP cluster and the powertrain is soo much better words can't hardly explain it. You'd just have to drive one to see. I almost purchased a 14 until on a whim I drove a 17 and that was it, decision made and extra cost be d*mned. It was just that much better.

ltharley

Reaction score
One thing to consider is Ford Protect Warranty. Be aware that you can only purchase the extended warranty on vehicles with under 41,000 miles and under 41 months of service. I just purchased a 2017 Platinum, CPO, with 36,000 miles for $38,000.