In the market for an Expedition - what to watch for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What problems? Im sure those problems they would fix . Unlike Ford telling me to deal with it and its "normal" wastegate noise and do nothing
If you go over to https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com and do a little looking around / searching you will see that GM is also having a good deal of problems with their new vehicles as well.

nationalgallery

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the original dealer had deleted the nifty lumbar adjustable seats, the kick sensor for the lift gate
Those were factory deletes on Expeditions and Navigators as well — the dealer had nothing to do with that.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you go over to https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com and do a little looking around / searching you will see that GM is also having a good deal of problems with their new vehicles as well.
This holds true for all manufacturers. Vehicles are basically computers on wheels. Pretty much everything is electronic. Steering brakes, suspension, etc., all rely on data.
With that said there are a whole lot of things that can malfunction. My rep at the dealership even warned me to get an extended warranty and said "you know you are driving a computer".

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This holds true for all manufacturers. Vehicles are basically computers on wheels. Pretty much everything is electronic. Steering brakes, suspension, etc., all rely on data.
With that said there are a whole lot of things that can malfunction. My rep at the dealership even warned me to get an extended warranty and said "you know you are driving a computer".
The automakers are manufacturing rolling computers that they have not yet figured out how to incorporate the super reliability that is required in vehicles.

I ran an IT Services firm for 30 years and and the current state of auto maker tech reliability is equivalent to approximately 1995-1999.

mwar99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you end up looking at the newer models (I think MY22 and up) double-check the window sticker and make sure they didn't do a bunch of the "delete" options. My parents bought a '22 Max Platinum a couple months ago and the original dealer had deleted the nifty lumbar adjustable seats, the kick sensor for the lift gate, and a few other things. I wouldn't have expected that as at the time I assumed all Platinums at least had the 3-zone lumbar adjustments, and I'd have been wrong.
Those are factory delete, dealer didn’t do it. Those items have not been available for a while.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For what reason idk. Ford suppliers just stopped giving them the parts needed to equip these trucks with those features? Ford still can't acquire the chips needed to activate them? I don't buy it. The problem i have is that it's insulting to the consumer to raise the price of these things so much, yet take away the most desirable things it comes with, then be like, here's 50 bucks as a credit. If gm and jeep can source the parts to get these features, why can't Ford. I love the expy, but my wife and I moved off it because it made no sense why they are still asking $90k and a markup for an expy plat, yet I can't get massage seats, hands free lift gate, self park, or 1 touch windows, when a new nav has these and more for $5k more, or a generously used expy/nav has them for 30% less.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For what reason idk. Ford suppliers just stopped giving them the parts needed to equip these trucks with those features? Ford still can't acquire the chips needed to activate them? I don't buy it. The problem i have is that it's insulting to the consumer to raise the price of these things so much, yet take away the most desirable things it comes with, then be like, here's 50 bucks as a credit. If gm and jeep can source the parts to get these features, why can't Ford. I love the expy, but my wife and I moved off it because it made no sense why they are still asking $90k and a markup for an expy plat, yet I can't get massage seats, hands free lift gate, self park, or 1 touch windows, when a new nav has these and more for $5k more, or a generously used expy/nav has them for 30% less.
I agree totally. When I purchased, I wanted a maxed-out Platinum. I first looked at new and there weren't any available. So, then I looked at the used market. There were many available, but mostly black on black. Being in Florida, I wanted a lighter color with light interior. I finally found a pristine Platinum, with every feature except SVDs in the headrests, which are relatively worthless with our new technology. They blame it on the backlash of the Covid pandemic, when there are many chip sources available.

JKautz

Reaction score
1) The motorized running boards break. 2) Lower level trim levels (XLT) have a bad sound system for this price point. 3) The waste gates rattle. 4) I would recommend an extended warranty. 5) My stock tires were garbage (20” wheels) when new. 6) GM products have their own issues so there is no perfect choice 7) The turbo 6 gets about the same MPG as a GM V8. 8) Sunroof can be problematic. 9) Get the tow package.

Sort of a high level review of what I’ve had over 3 years of ownership of a 2020.

RSNovi

Reaction score
We towed a 34' RV with our 2020 Expedition. It was just within the cargo capacity. I used a weight distribution hitch. The Expedition has plenty of power, stopped fine, and was pretty level with the weight distribution hitch. The overall length might have been a bit too much causing sway when windy. I never felt unsafe, but you could feel the sway when the wind gusted.

Chris

Jettix2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Buy as new as you can afford, and buy the Ford ESP extended warranty. None of these full-size rigs (GM, Jeep, Ford) is completely trouble free. We had a 22 Suburban and hated the poor visibility, and so we traded back into a 2019 Expedition Platinum Max (we had an 18 previously).

We much prefer the Platinum trim level, our first was an 18 that lived a hard life before we bought it with 60k miles…… current one is a mint 19 that we bought with 28k.

18 needed cam phasers, running board motors, wheel bearings. The 19 has a rough shifting trans that they’re rebuilding right now under warranty at 41k miles. Would still buy another one in a heartbeat, it drives way better than anything else this big.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire