Information display brightness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David Schaefer

Reaction score
2012 Expy EL Limited, mine is dim too. Put on sunglasses and it's nearly impossible for me to see it. I think Ford just got this wrong is all. Glad it's something minor though.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that my Expedition is a 2011. I am not wearing sun glasses. I can sometimes shade the side of the display and see it a little better, but that is not safe while driving. The display is just not bright enough in the daytime.
Both my 2011 (which I still own) and 2014 (which I traded for 2017) have this issue from new. The issue went away when Ford moved to LED instrument display in 2015.

Someone here may have a “fix” but that is the way the 2011 - 2014 and maybe earlier models came from the factory.

Last edited:

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not a matter of getting it right or wrong.

We've just managed to forget that painfully bright blue LEDs are 2010's tech (invented in the 90s, but took a while to get cheap enough for mainstream...even got a Nobel prize in '14, which is around when they started showing up everywhere)

Cars designed for 2007 release didn't get that until facelifts or revisions.

MrTommy

Reaction score
We have a 2014 EL and I can barely see the display during the day. Luckily my wife drives this car and I rarely have to deal with this. My 2016 F-350 Lariat is SO much easier to see the dashboard info. She doesn't complain about it so I don't care . . .

fothco

Reaction score
I select different settings on my headlight control . That can solve the dim read outs too . Mine is 2013 Expedition - Max

The Chairman

Reaction score
Turn your headlights off and see if they are brighter. If so, something on your dash is blocking the sun sensor and the vehicle thinks it’s dark outside and activated the headlights.

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is a dial on the dash to the left of column that sets the brightness for the dash lighting, not sure if everyone knew this.

tommyddsr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2009 also has a dim panel. Looks awful during the day but great at night if you like that ugly Ford green display.