Install F150 Bilstein 5100 or 6112 products on my 2004 Expedition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Vincent Vega

Vincent Vega

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@OverlandExpy do you want to re-gear, or did you already re-gear for the 315s you are running? I think that is the same size as Raptor tires. I want new wheels and am considering a set of Raptor takeoffs, and usually the seller includes the tires and wheels together. The wheels and tires would be $1,000-$1500 but gearing would double or triple that cost. Thanks

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@vincentvega just for your info I have 35/12.50.17 and did not regear and have been running this setup since 2016. Regearing would be beneficial but I never had a big issue with the stock 3.73 gears. Yes I did lose a bit of acceleration at the initial take off but very minor, and I lost about 2 to 3 mpg but that also is considering the lift. My speedo is off a bit but I'm used to it so doesn't bother me (example: when my speedo indicates 60 it's actually 65) NOw if I could ever put 37s on I would do the spend and regear.

Not sure if this helps and just my opinion

OverlandExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@OverlandExpy do you want to re-gear, or did you already re-gear for the 315s you are running? I think that is the same size as Raptor tires. I want new wheels and am considering a set of Raptor takeoffs, and usually the seller includes the tires and wheels together. The wheels and tires would be $1,000-$1500 but gearing would double or triple that cost. Thanks
Oh I'm 100% planning on regearing to 4.56. Just saving up some cash because I want to put in Detroit lockers in the front and rear when I regear. Whole setup will be 4k or something. Almost as much as I paid for the truck!

OP
OP
Vincent Vega

Vincent Vega

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@OverlandExpy and @Jb14 got it thanks for the info. ARB lockers will run about $1200 each, gears another few hundred each axle, and Raptor tires/wheel takeoffs roughtly $1500. Plus labor if you have the diffs done somewhere. And plus the ARB compressor (and figuring out how to mount it). Thats a $ chunk.

Laporterican

Reaction score
@Vincent Vega What are the part numbers for the Bilstein 5100s you used? When I'm done with my manual swap on my Navigator I plan on doing a bunch of front end work, I'd like to upgrade the suspension while I'm in there. I've been quite happy with the 5100s on my '99 F350 7.3L.

Laporterican

Reaction score
Disclaimer please verify yourself:: I have done quite a bit of research on this my self and it appears the 5100 for the F150 will work on the front (in fact aftermarket A-arms and such will work as well) For the rear Bilstein makes a 5100 for 2018 expedition that may work.

***Again please verify I have only done a cursory but looks good***
Have you measured or compared 2018 Expedition rear shocks? My wife has a 2022 Timberline, I could easily measure and compare. I have a 2003 Navigator to make the comparisons with. Often times, manufacturers will keep costs down by using identical geometry across multiple generations of the same vehicle.

OP
OP
Vincent Vega

Vincent Vega

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Laporterican I have data from manufacturers for the Gen 4, and did some reading that suggest the overall spring lengths are similar between the Gen 4 and Gen 2 rear coilovers but there is less suspension travel (Gen 2 has the highest amount of travel). Also I cannot recall if the mounts are the same. The rear suspension on the 2007+ is different than previous years, but its unclear if the spring rates are the same and if the Gen 4 coilovers would work in a Gen 2. It has been about a year since I did the research so I can't recall all the reasons I decided not to try Gen 4 parts on my rear suspension. I know I considered it because there are some good aftermarket parts available for Gen 4s (Bilstein and others). Could you please take a few photos of your Gen 4 rear suspension and post here, including the upper and lower mounts? That would be pretty cool to see. Thanks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357