Installing Fuel Tank Skid Plate (Off-Road Package) on 2003

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keydo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Installing Fuel Tank Skid Plate (Off-Road Package) on 2003

I picked up the components for the Off-Road package from the NBX Expedition. All the components are Ford OEM.

I need some advice/help on installing the fuel tank skid plate.

First off, the fuel tank skid plate is attached to the fuel tank brackets. On the stock 4x4 (non-off road package) the fuel tank brackets do not have the attachements for the skid plates (as the off-road 4x4 does).

I have the necessary fuel tank brackets (Ford OEM).

The dealer wants $300 in labor charges to replace the stock fuel tank brackets for the correct ones to attach the skid plate. (No thanks).

I originally tried to tackle it myself and found out that you cannot remove the brackets without disconnecting the drive shaft (hence the reason I thought the dealership could do it).

So, I can either

1. Try to get an independent shop to do it. My current local shop quote is $237 (labor only) though they are pricing it as a fuel tank replacement since they don't have it in their books on replacing fuel tank brackets. Also, I'm wondering if they'll properly torque the bolts on the driveshaft. I have no idea what the torque specs are and the Ford Dealership is reluctant to give them to me. (They're excuse is that technicians are using the books and to take the book away from them is taking them away from working on paying customer's vehicles).

2. Attempt to drop the drive shaft myself. The hard part is there is not enough room to get adequate leverage to loosen and remove the bolts holding the driveshaft together.

Can anyone help?

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would say take it to a shop since since there's not much room to work with. Also, you don't want to drop it then realize you don't have the tools or time to get it back together with the new parts.

Robert Paulson

Reaction score
well, i dropped the driveshaft on my mustang plenty of times, only using jackstands. with the expy, there should be plenty of room. i actually replaced the trans in my mustang by myself with the car on jackstands. go to your local auto parts store and buy the trans plug ---it keeps the fluid in after you drop the shaft.

if you decide to tackle this job, just make sure you're near empty when you do. i had to remove the meager 12-gallon tank from my 'stang when it was 3/4 full, and it gets heavy.

daveplot

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm working on getting a list of parts together for the skid plates. What are the part numbers for the fuel tank skid plate and all the hardware you have purchased?

Thanks.

OP
OP
K

Keydo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Parts

I used to have the parts and parts number written down. I'll see what I can find, but here is what I know.

Front skid plate (metal piece - steel)
Transmission skid plate (metal piece - steel)
Oil filter skid plate (plastic piece - black)
Fuel tank skid plate (very thick plastic piece - black)

Now, among the four above items, you only need three because the oil filter skid plate is already a stock item on the 2003 (and I'm assuming it remains stock forward from that year).

You can order the three remaining parts, but you'll need ancillary parts now which are the bolts, washers and nuts. The frame has holes that will accept these bolts, but bolts vary in size. For example, the bolts used to secure the front skid plates will be different than those for the fuel tank.

The fuel tank skid plate bolts onto the fuel tank brackets, but the stock brackets are missing the bolt studs that the skid mount to (then is secured with a washer and nut). So, in order to get this piece on, the fuel tank brackets need to be replaced with the off-road brackets designed to hold the fuel tank skid plate.

I may have the parts list, so I'll try to dig it up and post it back up here.