Installing nav system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

u.p.expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is it possible to install a nav system in a 2007 e.b. expy, mine obviously doesn't have one. Is it rather expensive to do this? I think it was about an 1800 dollar option when new.

slow97gt

Reaction score
I just installed a Pioneer Avic f900bt in my Expy, the New model 910 can be had for less than a grand and is easy to install. Kenwood also makes a very good unit.

OP
OP
u.p.expy

u.p.expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just installed a Pioneer Avic f900bt in my Expy, the New model 910 can be had for less than a grand and is easy to install. Kenwood also makes a very good unit.

Can you post pics of your nav system? What type of shop installed your nav system?

Thanks

jimmyv13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone installed the GPS(aftermarket or OEM) with the rear DVD? Any complications? Steering wheel controls?

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Pioneer apparently has a kit to allow you to retain the steering wheel controls.

The HU has a couple of video inputs and outputs, so it shouldn't be a big deal to keep the rear dvd.

bubbadabulldawg

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2 years ago I bought off Amazon;

Pioneer Z2 it features;
Out of the box, this system comes with 12 million points of interest and a massive map database to help you find the nearest destination. The built-in Text-to-Speech engine clearly pronounces turn-by-turn direction and street names to ensure smooth travels.

The AVIC-Z2 also offers a wide variety of map views tailored to different driving experiences. For example, “Rear View” allows you to watch your cargo in tow with your optional back-up camera while simultaneously being able to view the map. High-resolution 2D and 3D maps provide renderings of nearby landmarks and terrain to help you navigate the world around you. The Z’s high-powered graphics processor and precision-guided GPS sensor deliver stunningly detailed mapping with amazing accuracy.

Pioneer’s AVIC-Z2 takes convenience to the next level with voice-activated navigation. You can simply input an address by voice or find a place to re-fuel by saying, “Find the nearest gas station” or “Find the nearest McDonalds”. Learn more

Your iPod® (and iPhone®) Will Thank You
On top of being an exceptional navigator, the AVIC-Z series delivers an iPod experience that blows away FM transmitters or cassette adaptors. Even at the first glance, you will fall in love with the easy-to-use touch screen controls for your music and brilliant 7-inch display for your videos.

With the optional cable (CD-IU50V) connected to your iPod, you will notice how easily you can find songs, videos, artists, or playlists with a few simple taps of your finger. Pioneer has also created powerful searching tools such as Link Play and Alphabet Search to help you find content faster.

Ditch the Headset with Built-in Bluetooth®
Take incoming calls through the AVIC-Z2, and be heard clearly without a headset courtesy of Bluetooth technology. Connecting your compatible phone is easy and gives you instant touch screen access to your contacts. You can also dial a contact with the sound of your voice by simply saying “Call Jack Smith.” adapter needed Pioneer Car NDBT1 Bluetooth Adapter for AVIC-Z2. The optional cable (CD-IU50V) connected to your iPod, you will notice how easily you can find songs, videos, artists, or playlists with a few simple taps of your finger. Pioneer has also created powerful searching tools such as Link Play and Alphabet Search to help you find content faster.

The Freedom of Speech
Navigation functions, iPod audio control and hands-free Bluetooth calling can all be controlled with the sound of your voice. Voice-activated control over your navigation system not only performs in-car tasks with greater speed, but helps you keep your eyes (and attention) on the road ahead.

Media Mogul
Built to navigate, but born to entertain, the AVIC-Z2 offers audio and video playback from the most popular formats. Whether you’re watching DivX® files on DVD,there are dozens of playback options for your favorite media. You will also appreciate the Z’s ability to simultaneously entertain your front and back seat passengers with two different audio and video sources using Dual Zone functionality.

Audiophile-grade Sound Architecture
Just because the AVIC-Z2 features one of the most robust navigation platforms in the industry, doesn’t mean it holds back on high-end sound quality. With 3 sets of hi-volt (4V) pre-outs, custom designed power supply capacitors and a 7-band graphic equalizer, you can build a massive system worthy of hi-fi listening.

Expanded Listening
The AVIC-Z2 gives you plenty of room to expand your broadcast options. With optional tuners, experience the vast channel selection of XM Sirius Satellite Radio and HD Radio.

It works exactly the same way the For Sync works if you want to compare it. At Best Buy it was selling for $2000, I paid $1300.

I also bought these also;

Pioneer Car NDBT1 Bluetooth Adapter AVIC-Z2 so when I make or get a call it plays over the speakers and I talk back to the microphone that I put on the steering column (which came with the stereo)

Pioneer CD-SR1 AVIC-Z2 Steering Wheel Remote Control so I can make and answer calls & control what source I want to use without taking my hands off the wheel.

Clarion WH104 Single Channel IR Wireless Headphone System for the kids in the back

Legacy LMR1344 13-Inch TFT LCD Roof Mount Monitor with IR Transmitter and Swivel for rear viewing and PS2 playing.

Boyo VTL300C BLACK ALUMINUM LICENSE PLATE CAMERA CMOS for backing up and checking the trailer while towing.

Pioneer CDX-P1280 12-Disc CD Player

Everything all said and done I paid $1800 for everything including shipping and installed it myself, including doing a hack on the unit so I can use the nav while in driving instead of having to put the truck in park to put in a destination, this is especially good with the wife looking for a bathroom before getting to our destination. Haven't had any problems with anything since I installed it 2 years ago this week.