Integrated Brake Controller Compatibility

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmtndog

Reaction score
Early this year, we purchased a 2015 Ford Expedition to toe our 2015 T@B S Maxx trailer. The truck has the tow package with integrated brake controller. We finally had a chance to go camping for a weekend, and tow with the Expedition for the first time.

When I connect the trailer to the truck, the status panel in the truck shows "Trailer Connected" and also indicates the brake controller gain and output. However, as soon as I put the truck in Drive and start to move, the status changes to "Trailer Disconnected". When I stop again, it will reconnect. Any time I "go", it disconnects.

I am wondering if anyone has experience using the integrated brake controller on a Ford SUV or Truck with a T@B trailer? Perhaps this is an incompatibility. Or, perhaps there is something wrong with the wiring in the truck since we did get an "Trailer Wiring" error of some sort when we were in Colorado in June (without any trailer), but it went away and never reappeared. I did put a Tekonsha wiring harness tester / trailer simulator on the truck and it works fine--it does not disconnect when I start to drive.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am surprised that the T@B has brakes. I thought that was the beauty of those little trailers, that nearly any vehicle could tow one without added controllers, oil or transmission coolers, etc. Or is there another advantage of the controller? Are you using the flat-4 plug or the round 7 pin?

Either way, your truck should never displayed any kind of error without a trailer. I recall from an F150 forum that some funk can happen when those light hitch covers (think: NFL football team, Ford logo, extra brake light, etc) are used - not sure if this applies to you or not. I'd suggest having the dealer check it out.

OP
OP
B

bmtndog

Reaction score
The brakes are a recent addition, and added (I think) because of laws in some states requiring them. But, you are right that because of the size and weight, they are hardly needed. Still, it is nice to have a little pull back from the trailer when braking.

I'm using the 7-pin connector, the T@B fully supports that.