Interior Dash Paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ben Hoffman

Reaction score
I just bought a 2011 XLT EL and the front passenger airbag/dash cover right above the glove compartment is kind of "tacky" and if were to run something across it like a fingernail or kids have their shoes up there or whatever, the paint comes off.

Is there any type of paint to use on that or is better to just get a new part? I apologize the picture is not real clear.

img_1526.7491

IMG_1526.jpg

inmanlanier

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Too bad no answer.

I have a similar problem with my '012 EL XLT horn pad. It is very tacky/sticky. Today I took vinegar and water - it helped remove some of the crap stuck to it - but did not improve the surface finish. It's not as bad as fly paper (I'll bet 90% of you reading this have no clue what that is!) - but it's quite tacky. The vinegar clean if anything made it slightly more tacky.

This is similar to my 2016 Jag F Type R - Jag spent thousands of dollars (under warranty) replacing interior pieces (11 total as I recall) for the same exact issue. I understood numerous high end manufacturers shared the same vendor for coatings of the interior pieces - said coatings were crap. Huge warranty cost. Big high-end manufacture industry issue.

This is exactly the same. Does anyone know what's going on? Is there a coating I can apply to the pad to renew the finish w/o a repeat in a year or two or three?

I just found a clear coat flat finish paint. I'm thinking I'll try that.

thanks

Last edited:

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes and no

It will peel off to black plastic if you try to clean it thoroughly so forget trying that

You can respray it with Duplicolor, which has pretty good matches for Ford interior colors, but it'll also be pretty fragile... might get better results if you hit it with a good clear over the Duplicolor though

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just bought a 2011 XLT EL and the front passenger airbag/dash cover right above the glove compartment is kind of "tacky" and if were to run something across it like a fingernail or kids have their shoes up there or whatever, the paint comes off.

Is there any type of paint to use on that or is better to just get a new part? I apologize the picture is not real clear.

img_1526.7491

View attachment 41629

I had excellent color-matching results from this company (my interior color is “Dune”, similar to what you posted): https://classicleatherdye.com/

The company sells a kit with a bottle of vinyl / leather cleaner and a bottle of the dye (specific to your year vehicle).