Interior Lights Intermittent

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Ogara

Reaction score
I searched but couldn’t find an answer to this. I just took delivery of a 2019 Expedition Limited. The rear interior lights (above the rear doors) seem to turn on and off intermittently. When they are on, the switch will not turn them off, but when they are off you can turn them on. I’m pretty sure I’m not doing anything wrong with the dome light switches because I previously has a 2018 Limited and never had this issue. Any ideas?

nate6966

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine did the same thing, but it turned out to be my kids playing with them, turning them off and on independently, which overrode the driver controls (acts as reading lights for rear passengers)

OP
OP
M

Mike Ogara

Reaction score
Bump. I still can't figure out the rear seat interior lights on my '19 Limited. They are randomly on when I drive the car. Neither the front master switch nor the switch that is on the light itself will not turn them off.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bump. I still can't figure out the rear seat interior lights on my '19 Limited. They are randomly on when I drive the car. Neither the front master switch nor the switch that is on the light itself will not turn them off.

Any chance you have a door that isn't latching properly and it's causing the lights to come on/off intermittently?

OP
OP
M

Mike Ogara

Reaction score
I don't think it's a door latch issue because there's no indication on the dash that the door is not fully closed, and the running boards always retract. I assume all of these systems are tied together. The dome light seems to be the only thing not behaving.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't think it's a door latch issue because there's no indication on the dash that the door is not fully closed, and the running boards always retract. I assume all of these systems are tied together. The dome light seems to be the only thing not behaving.
Do the running boards retract when the vehicle is stationary, or only when you drive off? Because they will retract when you drive away even if the door is wide open.

(But I believe you're correct...if it was a latch issue I would think you'd get a dash alert.)

dirtydiamond

Reaction score
2019 Expedition Limited
Same issue. Rear passenger 2nd row window light, 3rd row roof light and tailgate light will not shut off. All doors are closed. Tried WD-40 in all the door latches. All of the other lights will shut off with locking doors. The running boards operate correctly with opening and shutting each door.

Kirk Olson

Reaction score
Were you guys ever able to get this solved? I just purchased a 2019 Expedition Max Limited and am having the exact same problem. Thanks