Interior Lights not turning off when doors left open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alcgraham

Reaction score
Just recently we noticed the interior lights are not turning off when the doors are left open for an extended period. They had always done so before so we are wondering what is up. Everything else works fine and they auto shut off when the doors are closed but not when left open. Any troubleshooting help would be most appreciated!!! Thanks!

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not turning off is normal on any vehicle. The door switch is open to the light bulbs and 12 volts is flowing. What year vehicle do you have? It doesn't make any sense why Ford would put an override switch to shut off power with the door open, and passengers, or yourself trying to settle in.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
They should turn off after 10 or 20 minutes through Ford's "battery-saver" circuit. If they've been replaced with LED's that woun't work as the draw is slight. Not sure how to troubleshoot this, but I know a relay's involved. I'm sure the manual has the routine for testing...

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do they stay on full burn? Or just glow super-faintly?

OP
OP
A

alcgraham

Reaction score
The bulbs have not been replaced so LED's aren't the problem. They stay on full power.

OP
OP
A

alcgraham

Reaction score
My expedition is a 2004 Eddie Bauer edition. Everything else is fine. When you turn off the key but stay in the car the lights and radio turn off after 10 minutes. The lights used to turn off when the doors were left open after about 15 or so minutes. The manual is at home and we are out of town so I won't be able to troubleshoot with that until we get back. All input is welcome!!

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Make sure the lights are not turned on using the dimmer switch. If they are, the battery-saver woun't turn them off for about 30 minutes instead of the 10 if they were turned on by opening a door. Also be sure the battery's not low.

OP
OP
A

alcgraham

Reaction score
Would the battery being low cause the lights to stay on? They are not turned on with the dimmer switch. My husband was thinking the battery might need to be changed.