Intermittent Crank - No - Start Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlyoung1

Reaction score
I have an '03 XLT 4.6L that has had an intermittent start issue that needs resolution. Occasionally, when you crank the engine it will fail to fire or require a very long (longer than I want to run the starter) crank time. If I "cycle" the key off/on and crank it again, it will ALWAYS fire immediately and run fine. Almost like it sometimes fails to give the "go" command to the fuel pump or the injectors? Never has given a CEL code of any kind related to fuel system. It's not a huge deal, but I don't want to go from Intermittent to Fail status!

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check fuel pressure before starting. What your describing is common to to low or no pressure. Cycling the key allows the pump to build pressure.

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Stamps right. Sounds like you have a fuel leak. Check around under your car and in the engine compartment to see and smell if and where it's leaking.

OP
OP
D

dlyoung1

Reaction score
Am I correct that you're suggesting checking the fuel pressure "at rest" BEFORE turning the key? The check valve allowing the "pre-charge" of fuel to drain sounds like a definite possibility. And the check valve is in the fuel pump assembly in the tank?

B

bedrck46

At rest That is what is being suggested

Also how many miles on the expy and has the fuel pump ever been changed??

Copper93

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unfortunately, yes, it's part of the fuel pump assembly and requires dropping the tank and replacing the pump.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes check fuel pressure at rest and while running. I don't remember the exact numbers but you should have at least 34 lbs while running. I would expect close to that at rest also.
The pump isn't that bad to change, only tight if your on jack stands. Do you plan on changing it yourself or having someone else change it?

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you noticed any gasoline smell around the car? I would go under the car and smell for it. You can do it before or after you check fuel pressure, the pressure gauge is around $50.

kb0jfg

Reaction score
I had a simular issue with my 2003 EB. Had fuel pressure to 50lbs when turned on. Kept on not starting at times. It happened most frequently when it would set 8-12 hours overnight. Changed out IAC valve still didn't fix it. Once I got it started it would start just fine until it sat for a length of time. Changed the Cam sensor still no good. Then changed the Crankshaft sensor which is a real is a pain. Had to drop the A/C compressor to get it out. Put in new Crank sensor so far so good.. FYI it will get worse

Last edited: