ipad tuning software

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, I know there's a 5star Tuning forum. they don't watch it, so I'm not using it. last post was 2019. screw that.
does anyone know of a tuner that uses an ipad as the screen?
thanks
jg

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, I know there's a 5star Tuning forum. they don't watch it, so I'm not using it. last post was 2019. screw that.
does anyone know of a tuner that uses an ipad as the screen?
thanks
jg

I am not aware of any that work with the Expedition and I have tried many.

By far the best tuning device out there is Either HPTuners MPVI2 or RTD. For most the RTD is the way to go. It doesn’t allow you to use the Editor, but allows you to log everything that possibly needs to be. It uses a Windows laptop as the interface currently.

There is rumor that they are coming out with a Mobile app that will work with both. I have not seen any recent updates on it though.

I highly suggest you contact ZFG and talk options with them.

Tunes are custom for your vehicle. Baseline file, you do some logging, and they do revisions. Great stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used to have the original HPTuners MPVI and it was great. It was used on GM 3800 platform but I sold it long before I got an expedition. Data logging without a connected laptop was by far one of the best features.

My older AVT interface I used befire the HPT forced me to have a laptop on a seat/floor and wires everywhere as I had to be hooked to power and not using laptop battery.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
OP
OP
joethefordguy

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is a decent piece of hardware, but lacking in EcoBoost support. The HPTuner based devices have access to some tables that the SCT software does not have access to. I used to tune with SCT and actually write tunes back when I was messing with PowerStrokes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

LokiWolf, thanks very much for your quick response.
I don't have the ecoboost. i have the 04 5.4L2V, so I think I'm good there. The HP tuner, though half the cost of the SCT, seems dangerous to me in the hands of an amateur. I get the impression it’s a great tool for the professional, but not so much otherwise. I think the price diff (the HP is about half the cost of the SCT) is because the SCT has a much more user friendly interface.
I'm trying to understand the difference between the two. Any help you can provide with that would be greatly appreciated. I'm about to drop 650 bucks on the SCT, instead of the 300 dollar HP, because it looks so much easier to use. Using a laptop for the interface is not going to work for me.

Another thing I don't understand about tuners at all: why aren't they compatible with ipads? it seems to me to be obvious that instead of coming up with their own interface, it would be far easier to build an Apple iOS app that users can download, then connect to the tuner via bluetooth and go from there. I don't understand why there are no such solutions at all. Am I missing something? I'm asking you because you mentioned you wrote tunes (coded); I was a programmer once but that was a few decades ago. I've never seen the code for engine management.

in any case, thanks so much for your help.
jg

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
LokiWolf, thanks very much for your quick response.
I don't have the ecoboost. i have the 04 5.4L2V, so I think I'm good there. The HP tuner, though half the cost of the SCT, seems dangerous to me in the hands of an amateur. I get the impression it’s a great tool for the professional, but not so much otherwise. I think the price diff (the HP is about half the cost of the SCT) is because the SCT has a much more user friendly interface.
I'm trying to understand the difference between the two. Any help you can provide with that would be greatly appreciated. I'm about to drop 650 bucks on the SCT, instead of the 300 dollar HP, because it looks so much easier to use. Using a laptop for the interface is not going to work for me.

Another thing I don't understand about tuners at all: why aren't they compatible with ipads? it seems to me to be obvious that instead of coming up with their own interface, it would be far easier to build an Apple iOS app that users can download, then connect to the tuner via bluetooth and go from there. I don't understand why there are no such solutions at all. Am I missing something? I'm asking you because you mentioned you wrote tunes (coded); I was a programmer once but that was a few decades ago. I've never seen the code for engine management.

in any case, thanks so much for your help.
jg

All excellent questions.

SCT will come with canned tunes for your year Motor, and allow you to change some small settings.

HP is actually not that cheap. That is just the hardware. You have to buy credits, and in your case it would be 2, so an additional $100. Then you would need a tuner to write some tunes for you, and that would be additional. Most tuners sell HPTuner packages for $600 to $700 including a tune.

HPTuner is not a tuning company but a company that sells hardware and software that allows a tuner to tune your vehicle. SCT does a little of both.

The SCT might be the right fit for you.

The reason you have see the resistance to mobile devices, is that from a systems standpoint a computer is actually more reliable. A phone at the 3 year mark is typically having serious issues, where as a good computer at 3 years is probably still working without issue. Most are windows based because it is easier to write code for Windows based apps.

HPTuner is working on an app to interface with the MPVI2 and RTD. COVID stalled it a bit. I feel like it is going to be awesome when it releases. Hoping they still do.

OP
OP
joethefordguy

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
LokiWolf,
dude, you are a fountain of wisdom! if the forum gives prizes for most helpful, you have my vote.
thanks
jg

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
LokiWolf,
dude, you are a fountain of wisdom! if the forum gives prizes for most helpful, you have my vote.
thanks
jg

Thanks! Glad I could be of service.

Been around a while! Drove lots of fun vehicles, raced a few, and being a Systems Engineer for a living helps with the understanding of Tech.