Is buying a CPO good idea?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pokes_06

Reaction score
A dealership near me has a CPO 2019 XLT that I am interested in purchase next weekend? Would you recommend it? Do I have to get an oil change at the dealership to keep the warranty?

thank you in advance for the insight.

Reaction score
Don't have to go to dealership. Just document when and what you do to keep it. I did cpo on my 2019 bc I bought it out of state and for warrantee

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Depends. I have an extended warranty from Carmax until 125k. At the rate we drive, it'll be done next year, after 3 years and around 65k miles. It really comes down to your tolerance for risk and mechanical aptitude. If you can handle minor repairs and are willing to set money aside for potential major repairs, then you don't need it. If you want peace of mind, then you may want to go CPO.

I'm working on brakes right now...my wife thrashed the rear rotor, driving with no pads. This is the biggest thing I've had to do in 50k of driving. My guess is that you won't see any major repairs within the CPO coverage period. I got it mostly because I was afraid of premature timing chain wear.

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
I have purchased several CPO Fords, great program with great warranties.

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just a thought, buy an extended warranty from your dealer and CPO or not it doesn’t matter.

I bought a 10yr bumper to bumper 125k warranty from my dealer. Negotiated down to around $2k. My 2019 expedition will be covered for a long while considering I only put about 10k miles on it per year.

CPO gives you a piece of mind on how decent the car will be the day you get it but keep in mind a few years down the road it’s still a warranty less used car.

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just a thought, buy an extended warranty from your dealer and CPO or not it doesn’t matter.

I bought a 10yr bumper to bumper 125k warranty from my dealer. Negotiated down to around $2k. My 2019 expedition will be covered for a long while considering I only put about 10k miles on it per year.

CPO gives you a piece of mind on how decent the car will be the day you get it but keep in mind a few years down the road it’s still a warranty less used car.
Exactly. The availability of at-cost or near-cost extra coverage direct from online Ford dealers almost makes limiting yourself to CPO a bad idea, if it can be. Just find the Ford you want and factor in the coverage to your purchase price.

Anerbe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it already comes with the CPO with all your options, at a good price, go ahead. otherwise, id look at adding the Ford ESP at a similar price, but with better coverage.

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it already comes with the CPO with all your options, at a good price, go ahead. otherwise, id look at adding the Ford ESP at a similar price, but with better coverage.

Or do both. Buy CPO as you know the car was treated well and buy an extended warranty. If the CPO price is similar to non CPO then do it.

Daniel Drew

Reaction score
I bought a 18 limited certified, and a Ford protect and wishing it wasn’t certified. So with my Ford protect I get rental car allowance of 60 or 65 a day for 10 days, unless it’s covered under the certified warranty. Almost impossible to get loaner cars around my area at ford dealerships. Also, don’t think just because it’s a certified they fixed everything, mine had leaking struts all the way around, clicking mirrors, tires about 70-75% and a few other things as well. Got it with about 37k miles on it.

2020-MAX-Limited

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One thing that has not been mentioned is the CPO inspection is very thorough and all items are brought up to spec before it can pass the inspection. Also, you are assured there are no after-market mods on the vehicle. It will be completely stock and ready to drive...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65