Is Ford Doing Anything About Their Paint Issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plati

Reaction score
I don't know what's more amazing … the fact that:
- Ford has had this paint bubbling problem for 20 years and cant fix it
- Ford doesn't tell people (upfront) who buy new vehicles to expect this to happen
- Ford doesn't have a uniform customer service response for vehicle owners with bubbling
- Ford decided up the game & go to all aluminum bodies instead of just hood & tailgate
- People don't know about this until it happens to them
- People still buy these vehicles from Ford
- People expect their vehicles to look brand new forever

I have 2 Expys with this and I just accepted it and it doesn't bother me
I'd rather have paint bubbling than NO METAL because it all rusted away

I think people should BEFORE buying a new Expy, have Dealer/ Ford sign a no bubbling guarantee or don't buy. That might get some attention!!

And I think when buying a used Expy, take some value off what you pay if bubbling

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PrepVet

Reaction score
What is Ford’s Customer Relations phone number? The hoops I’m getting at my local dealer are not getting me anywhere.

OP
OP
P

PrepVet

Reaction score
I don't know what's more amazing … the fact that:
- Ford has had this paint bubbling problem for 20 years and cant fix it

I haven’t seen it for “20 years” but it has been a long time issue. That said it is still better than GMs paper fender wheel wells forever.

- Ford doesn't tell people (upfront) who buy new vehicles to expect this to happen

I would not expect any company to ever do that.
- Ford doesn't have a uniform customer service response for vehicle owners with bubbling

I agree. And a plan to fix it.

- Ford decided up the game & go to all aluminum bodies instead of just hood & tailgate

I haven’t seen issues yet with that, does not mean it won’t happen, but I also have no problem with them making the switch.

- People don't know about this until it happens to them

Yes and no. The vast majority have no clue it will happen and many don’t care. I’m the ******* whom let it happen to himself twice. My 13 Explorer has horrid issues with the tailgate and hood. I did some research and it happened to the vast majority of certain white Explorers of which mine was one of. It happened to others but not as bad. I talked to a few folks and it seemed that Ford had addressed the issue and it was not as big a problem with other colors. Whoops. I was had again. Granted this is far better than the issues I had with my Explorer this is still unacceptable.
- People still buy these vehicles from Ford

I’m a Ford guy so I prefer them to most other cars.

- People expect their vehicles to look brand new forever

That’s a silly thing to say. I expect my car to look damn near great when I take care of it. Ford has let me down on that.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is one of the reasons why Expedition value plummets on the used market. I passed on at least 10 used Expeditions/Navigators because of the paint issues.

I was the 3rd owner of a 2001 Toyota Tacoma in 08. Soon after I received a letter from Toyota extending the frame warranty for 15 years from manufacture date, no matter how many folks owned the vehicle. They would either replace the frame or pay you the value of the truck. It also stated I could take it in for a free evaluation, which I did. No rust. I bought it specifically because it spent it's time in the south. I was impressed that Toyota corporate did this. I put the letter in the glove box so the next owner would know about the warranty. It may have been forced but that's how you take care of a problem.

I bought the expedition while living in Alabama. Had I known I'd be moving to the salt road belt, I would have gotten something else.

Grover6

Reaction score
I am having the same issue on my liftgate and hood. However, according to the body shop I took it to to get an estimate, this is not a paint issue. It is a corrosion issue with the aluminum panels.

The body guy said that the way the lift gate outer skin is folded over, if any other metal type gets in there it causes a reaction with the aluminum and it oxidizes. Won't rust but, it bubbles up and yes the paint cracks etc.

I am not an expert, but that is what I was told.

Cyclone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just got mine back yesterday. Ford replaced the hood and liftgate for free under the 5yr corrosion warranty.

OP
OP
P

PrepVet

Reaction score
Just got mine back yesterday. Ford replaced the hood and liftgate for free under the 5yr corrosion warranty.
What dealership?

I’ll drive across country to have it fixed.

Ford is doing nothing up here.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cyclone,

You’re in Maryland right? Definitely want know the details of your replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cyclone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok. I am going to PM you the dealership and the contact that I had. Perhaps she can help you.

FisherPete

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm surprised engineers didn't address the causes of galvanic corrosion a long time ago. My 12 is blistering like a 1950 Chevy in upstate New York. It bugs me, but clearly there is no good solution. Aftermarket paint is just never going to be as good as factory paint, so repair is not final.