Is the 4.6 strong enough?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Supposedly the 5.4 is more vulnerable to leaking head gaskets. Also, many 1997-1999 Expeditions are plagued by leaky heater hoses. On the 5.4, this leak is positioned above the coil pack on the #4 cylinder, leading to premature failure of the coil pack. 4.6 engines of this era only have two coils, one for each cylinder bank, and are positioned well away from the heater hoses. Newer 4.6's share the same coil pack setup as the 5.4.

On the other hand, the extra torque of the 5.4 is very welcome on a 5,500 lb. truck.

Really, at 95-100k miles, the quality of maintenance by the p/o will determine your happiness more than any design issues.

P.S. Award bonus points to any candidate that has had the sparkplugs recently changed. This is a difficult job, and the dealer will charge you accordingly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shaggy

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was looking under the hood and could not even see the plugs !

G

Replacing sparkplug and coil pack

since you spoke on it.......

How hard is it/ How do I go about replacing the number 4 coil pack that has gone out on my '97 5.4. The part costs $90.00 and I really cant see paying the dealer 20-300 just to put it in. Am I really going to have to take all that "stuff" off the top of the motor? I have time patience and a decent set of tools. Opinions Please...

G

Just found the site and thought I would add my .02 on the spark plug issue. I have owned a 00 f150 and a lightning so I know about the plugs. If you got to www.svtlightnings.com there is a how to section on how to change the plugs and the tools needed. Granted it is for the lightning but the same tools and instructions apply.

G

I have changed my plugs as well and learned on my dads L. But paying 90 bucks for a coil pack is to much. I have changed out 2 of my packs and paid 64 for them. But as far as for reliability I have a 99 5.4 xlt 110k miles and I drive the tires off of that thing. Other than usual maint. I have not had problems. But if you have to get your upper control arm/balljoints fixed it will cost you any where from 500-800 Depending on who you get quotes from. For 69 bucks a piece and 10 for a ball joint seperator 15 for a Haynes manual and the use of my dads floor jack I did it my self in less than 2 hours. Just get the alignment done afterwards.:cheers:

abbyzdad

Reaction score
a quick note on 5.4 reliability--when was the last time any one with a 4.6 launched a sparkplug? on another forum this has been a reasonably hot topic. (the v-10's have the same problem) this alone is why i have run 4.6's since 97(except the F550)