Is this too much rust? Need advice before buying.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drabina

Reaction score
I am in NJ so rust comes with pretty much every vehicle. This one is a 2000 Expedition I am considering buying. Exterior, interior, engine all in very good condition. My concern is the underside which looks to be pretty rusty. Can you guys take a look at the photo and share your opinion? Would you buy an Expedition with that much rust?

expedition-rust.jpg

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yup! Looks like it has spent it's time on the beach. Run away from it.

OP
OP
D

drabina

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I will pass on this one.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You aren’t going to find many 22 year old vehicles without at least that amount of rust lol

Bilsto

Reaction score
Looks about normal for a truck that sees regular exposure to salt. When I lived in MI, that's what all my cars looked like.

Bunky

Reaction score
Looks perfect to me. Go for it. You gotta remember that rust is a good thing. Sure the surface looks bad but it covers up the good metal underneath with the rust. You don't need rust protection or paint or anything like that. It's the perfect preservative. Rust also helps hold older vehicles like the one you're looking at together. Man, once rust occurs, it ain't coming apart. Just don't have any flats, exhaust problems, on need to replace anything that's rusty. Good luck.

Retiredusps

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check the radiator support, usually rusts out where it mounts to the fame.I did on our 2005 live in nj. also!! love the salt in the winter

tommyddsr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Holy crap batman! I live here in Va near the beach and my 2000 (which my brother in law now owns) has no where near this amount of rust. Matter of fact I'd say I might have had 5% of that.