It's time to play name that bolt/stud...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ElliottM

Reaction score
View media item 6831I found this on the garage floor where I park our 2016 Expy with 123K+ miles. To me it looks like it could be from an exhaust manifold, but it might be from one of many places. Anyone have a good idea where this came from so that I can look for the location?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like an exhaust manifold stud to me, they are known to break on the Ecoboosts when hot.....truck sound loud or any ticking?

OP
OP
E

ElliottM

Reaction score
Thanks much for the replies. I haven't noticed any exhaust leak sound, which is why I questioned my gut feel it was from an exhaust manifold. Sounds like it's time to schedule an appointment. I bought an extended warranty, I hope the cost of replacing this would be covered.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
View media item 6831I found this on the garage floor where I park our 2016 Expy with 123K+ miles. To me it looks like it could be from an exhaust manifold, but it might be from one of many places. Anyone have a good idea where this came from so that I can look for the location?
That’s an expensive fix is what that is

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eh a manifold shouldn’t be too bad, I had both replaced on my 5.4 it wasn’t cheap but I had to purchase Ford manifolds, studs, and gaskets plus labor. Who knows this might just be one stud and no warpage.

Last edited:

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
Not sure about the clearance, it probably depends on the location. But a good wrench could possibly drill out and use an extractor to remove the snapped stud and reinstall the new one without pulling the manifold.

Atman246

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A tech with experience with a mig welder could go and weld a bit of weld on top of weld,then let cool and use a small pair of vise grips to work the remaining stud out. Mucho easier then drilling and trying to extract. Been there done that. The other way is if there's some exposed stud sticking out,then weld a nut on it and turn it out that way. A bodyman showed me that years ago.