IWE issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm driving around with worn IWE's. Sounds like bad bearings or rubbing from warped rotors. It's a 2005. My '97 didn't have these things. I did the vacuum test on them and they don't hold vacuum.
So the front driveline is always engaged.
Bought the truck used with only 46k on it two years ago, so I didn't mind replacing the wheel hubs with new Timkens, thinking that was where all the noise was coming from. That's when I discovered these gear Integrated Wheel End thingies. So my problem is that I'm still using the truck and they are getting louder. Ordering a new set of IWE's and a new vacuum solenoid. My concern is whether the worn ones can be ruining either my newly installed hubs, which for the most part are sealed bearings, or the CV joints. Anyone have any experience with this problem?
Thanks,
Stephen

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm driving around with worn IWE's. Sounds like bad bearings or rubbing from warped rotors. It's a 2005. My '97 didn't have these things. I did the vacuum test on them and they don't hold vacuum.
So the front driveline is always engaged.
Bought the truck used with only 46k on it two years ago, so I didn't mind replacing the wheel hubs with new Timkens, thinking that was where all the noise was coming from. That's when I discovered these gear Integrated Wheel End thingies. So my problem is that I'm still using the truck and they are getting louder. Ordering a new set of IWE's and a new vacuum solenoid. My concern is whether the worn ones can be ruining either my newly installed hubs, which for the most part are sealed bearings, or the CV joints. Anyone have any experience with this problem?
Thanks,
Stephen

Worn hub actuators will not damage your wheel hubs.. Long term use of worn IWE will damage your transfer case as the front drive shaft is engaged while driving in Gen2.

I would remove the front CVs and drive it until you get your replacement hub actuators...
:head3:

OP
OP
D

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So even though in 2WD switch position, stuff is churning in the transfer case?
Same thought about not flat towing an Expedition for fear of ruining automatic transmission and transfer case? I must have put 15 K on it in this condition.
Ouch, I've got to check that.
Thanks,
Stephen

OP
OP
D

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So even though in 2WD switch position, stuff is churning in the transfer case?
Same thought about not flat towing an Expedition for fear of ruining automatic transmission and transfer case? I must have put 15 K on it in this condition. My first gen, '97 didn't have these IWE's, so front driveshaft was turning output of transfer case all the time. Were there big differences between T cases of '97 and '05 ?
I've got to check that. Would be real bummer if T case was shot.
Thanks,
Stephen

jdecker

Reaction score
Your transfer case will be fine it's not engaged to the front wheels when in 2wd. When you tested your IWE did it hold vacuum at all or would the gauge not move? The reason I ask is if they are totally shot and staying locked you won't hear noise, it would be no different than putting the truck in awd.

OP
OP
D

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You would think that. It makes the same noise whether in 2 or 4.
The hubs are brand new Timkens, so don't think the noise is from there. The CV's don't click when turning and the boots are dry.
Truck's got 70K on it now, and the CV's on my '97 were good up to when I sold it with 225K. I checked both IWE's with a vacuum pump/gauge and both sides still turned the shaft, so looks like it's not holding vacuum. 'Thinking that if not holding vacuum, maybe so much clearance between the IWE's meshing gears in the hub and CV
end is causing the noise. That's why I'm wondering if anyone
else has gone through this with a second gen that has so little mileage for it's age.
Stephen

jdecker

Reaction score
Did you do the vacuum test at the IWE solenoid and at the IWE itself?

I had to replace one on my personal truck at 80,000 because it couldn't hold vacuum, when this happens the IWE will try to engage when accelerating in the 2wd mode and will make a pretty loud popping/grinding noise. The simple solution is simply click over to awd and let it stay engaged.

If your IWEs are bad they will stay locked and turn the front half shafts and diff, if that's the case the noise your hearing could possibly be a bad/dry u-joint.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Checked at the point of each IWE. Used larger
hose barb coming out of casting. Smaller is a
vent. CV's, diff and driveshaft still turn after
applying vacuum. Probably replace solenoid
up at firewall even if tested good.
Gotta check to see if noise is coming from dry
shaft U joints. Thanks
Stephen

Lithiatwats

Reaction score

My 2004 is making the same noises (front left). The vacuum piping seems ok and with the engine running I popped the hoses off the IWE assembly and there seems to be plenty of 'suck'. My problem only happens under fairly aggressive accel, and is fine all other times which leads me to think that it must be vacuum related. The solenoid seems to be working as all 4x4 modes engage correctly with no clunk or knock. Question now is whether to replace the IWEs? I am guessing they get ripped up pretty quick if they are trying to engage.

Obviously the vacuum drops under higher RPM. Is always advisable to change the IWEs regardless, my solenoid has not been modified with the cover but as l live in sunny CA, water ingress isn't my biggest worry.

Great forum with plenty of good info floating around

OP
OP
D

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update on my IWE problem:
There is no problem. With them, anyway. Lifted the truck in the air. Ran in gear, AWD. All four wheels will turn for awhile, the rears always faster. Then the system detects no load and the fronts will stop rotating even in awd setting. Hope that is normal. AWD light on dash will flash on and off and go out altogether in AWD. But when switching, I could see axles turning. When static, I used the vacuum gauge and they functioned that way too. So the solenoid switch and IWE's work. My winter tests were hasty and not accurate, I guess. But still living with resonance/humming/rubbing noise, although alot less after removing and plugging leak on front right tire. Still a big mystery, even after Ford tech test drove it. New hubs and rotors. Stethescope used on new hubs while wheels turning. Still nothing. Only 75K on an '05.
Rotors checked with dial indicator for warpage. Brake backing plates checked for any rubbing on rotors. I'll rotate the tires and see if the noise goes away completely.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiev