IWE issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

framda

Reaction score
Update on my IWE problem:
There is no problem. With them, anyway. Lifted the truck in the air. Ran in gear, AWD. All four wheels will turn for awhile, the rears always faster. Then the system detects no load and the fronts will stop rotating even in awd setting. Hope that is normal. AWD light on dash will flash on and off and go out altogether in AWD. But when switching, I could see axles turning. When static, I used the vacuum gauge and they functioned that way too. So the solenoid switch and IWE's work. My winter tests were hasty and not accurate, I guess. But still living with resonance/humming/rubbing noise, although alot less after removing and plugging leak on front right tire. Still a big mystery, even after Ford tech test drove it. New hubs and rotors. Stethescope used on new hubs while wheels turning. Still nothing. Only 75K on an '05.
Rotors checked with dial indicator for warpage. Brake backing plates checked for any rubbing on rotors. I'll rotate the tires and see if the noise goes away completely.

Rear wheel brngs?

OP
OP
D

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"Rear wheel brngs?"

Exactly! After all that. IWE's and original, un hooded solenoid are fine.
Had replaced the front bearing cassettes.
Now, replaced the rears with Timkens, new rotors and pads and the problem's gone. Thinking like an old gearhead, vibrations were coming up through the steering and the noise SOUNDED like it was coming from the front, even after replacing the front bearings. When I took the rear wheels off to rotate the tires, both sides felt like they were gonna fall off. And at only 70K miles. Guess rear IRS is more prone to bearing wear than my old '97 1st Gen with solid rear. 225K with no bearing problems and I don't think I ever changed the rear hypoid oil. Again, another case of me over-thinking something.
Just read on another thread how bearing wear can effect the ABS. I removed the fuses because the ABS was coming on in a scary, dry road condition, where I almost plowed into the car in front of me. 'Thought I would get around to checking the sensors with the multi meter. But now, after replacing all the wheel bearings, gonna pop the fuses back in and see what happens.

Last edited:

nick_rieck

Reaction score
Been following the IWE issues as I thought I had the same problem. Have a low pitch grinding noise, hard to say for sure but appeared to come from front end. Replaced front wheel hubs and IWE's but still have the noise. I timed it and seems to be at a 1:2.5 ratio wheel speed to noise occurrence. When I changed out the IWE's and hubs didn't see any shavings that would indicate that they were grinding but changed anyway since I have 150K plus on this 2005. Marked the half shafts and took it for a ride in 2H, heard the noise but when I got back the shafts hadn't rotated. Both vac hoses seem to have suction but I didn't gauge them. Changed rear diff oil just to see if it hinted at a problem but oil seemed normal for the mileage and did not have any shavings or milky-water look to it. I Looking for some ideas on what to check next? What would indicate rear hubs?

Transfer case? Front diff? ??

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jefes_Shyt