Jeep Wagoneer Specs Released

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Meh! Side profile kinda resembles a minivan with a long nose. That being said, it will attract the diehards who insist on having V-8s in their soccer mom SUVs.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I like the idea of the 6.4L, these things need a nasty big V8
Yeah they can be big and nasty V8’s but where is the torque numbers for the 6.2? The 5.7 specs. In the second article is not only less than my 2017 3.5 Ecoboost but it’s at a way higher rpm also. I’m not seeing the added towing capability’s (600lbs.) more than the Expedition from the more HP claim. I love a big V8 with big HP also, but it takes torque to tow stuff, and when my max torque is 420 ft. Lb. @ 2500 rpm’s in my 2017,7D842D80-CC89-4474-9CF5-8C8EBEE44B77.png 88CE225B-B344-4FF1-8909-5A5542AAA1AB.png it’s gonna be tough to out tow it with 404 ft. Lb. @ 3,950 rpm’s. Now the new Ecoboost that they are comparing it with has a max torque of 470 ft. Lb. @ 3,500 rpm’s but I’m sure it still has way more torque than the V8 does at 2500 rpm’s. Which in the real world of towing is closer to what you’d be turning on the highway in overdrive.I’m turning between 2,200-2,300 rpm’s @ 80 mph with a 3.73 gear set in 6th gear. That’s what makes the Ecoboost engine’s so awesome for towing. The torque is in a very usable rpm range and not in a range where you’ve gotta burn the engine down @ a constant 4,000 rpm range to stay in the sweet spot. Until they get similar low end torque results out of a naturally aspirated V8 , the Ecoboost is gonna be hard to beat.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ehh the revs on the V8 aren’t really an issue. I can tell you with mild certainty the EcoBoost is more prone to overheating related complications while towing than the 5.4 Triton is in these 3rd gens from what I’ve seen. That is the beauty of a cast iron V8 with forged pistons....you can’t melt it down. Remember boosted engines are just as stressed going up that hill, all that boost adds heat.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JasonH

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The low end torque on the Ecoboost is definitely an advantage for driveability while towing. But most of us who tow aren't necessarily towing all the time. For those consumers that prefer a v8, they now have another option. I'd prefer Powerboost on the Expedition myself. That 30 amp plug would be very useful.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ehh the revs on the V8 aren’t really an issue. I can tell you with mild certainty the EcoBoost is more prone to overheating related complications while towing than the 5.4 Triton is in these 3rd gens from what I’ve seen. That is the beauty of a cast iron V8 with forged pistons....you can’t melt it down. Remember boosted engines are just as stressed going up that hill, all that boost adds heat.
Yeah I definitely agree with preferring a cast iron block over aluminum for durability all day long, especially when it comes to excessive heat. I watch my temps while towing and so far it hasn’t been an issue. If these trucks had hour meters on the engines like commercial equipment, the V8’s would nearly double the hours of the Ecoboost having to run close to double the rpm’s to achieve the same results. Of course I’m comparing in a hypothetical situation where both engines would need to use all their given torque to pull a grade. With that being said, at the end of the day which engine is receiving more wear?

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I definitely agree with preferring a cast iron block over aluminum for durability all day long, especially when it comes to excessive heat. I watch my temps while towing and so far it hasn’t been an issue. If these trucks had hour meters on the engines like commercial equipment, the V8’s would nearly double the hours of the Ecoboost having to run close to double the rpm’s to achieve the same results. Of course I’m comparing in a hypothetical situation where both engines would need to use all their given torque to pull a grade. With that being said, at the end of the day which engine is receiving more wear?

Meh double is a bit dramatic, the 5.4 torque peaks at 3,500. I believe the EcoBoost is 2,500. There really is a 1,000 RPM spread on peak torque off the curves. The EcoBoost makes more, but often times it’s excess that doesn’t get used since 300 lb ft would probably move most of these sub 8,000 pound trailers these trucks can pull down the road at speed. That’s a big plus to the 3.5 is that it can loaf along on a straight away at low revs. As far as more wear—dunno. One is a cast iron engine with low compression and forged pistons. One is an aluminum block with two turbos and also forged pistons. Probably a toss up between revs and boost....but the 5.4 is going to fair better if you get her hot. Two different ways of getting the same job done for 250,000 miles or so.

Last edited:

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Meh double is a bit dramatic, the 5.4 torque peaks at 3,500. I believe the EcoBoost is 2,500. There really is a 1,000 RPM spread on peak torque off the curves. The EcoBoost makes more, but often times it’s excess that doesn’t get used since 300 lb ft would probably move most of these sub 8,000 pound trailers these trucks can pull down the road at speed. That’s a big plus to the 3.5 is that it can loaf along on a straight away at low revs. As far as more wear—dunno. One is a cast iron engine with low compression and forged pistons. One is an aluminum block with two turbos and also forged pistons. Probably a toss up between revs and boost....but the 5.4 is going to fair better if you get her hot. Two different ways of getting the same job done for 250,000 miles or so.
I was comparing the 5.7 hemi making max torque 404 lb ft @ 3,950 rpm vs 420 lb ft @ 2,500 rpm 3.5 Ecoboost. I do like the fact the 5.4 makes max torque at a lower than normal gas V8 , that’s why it’s a good truck engine. I also forgot to mention that by having max torque show up at normal Highway cruising speeds it helps keep the transmission from searching for a gear to get the job done. This is also a benefit for the trans life as well. If you tow a lot like I do especially in the mountains, which I also do, the low end torque of the Ecoboost is an absolute game changer. I still love my V8’s also .....this picture is my 69 390 4V IP FE big block out of my 69 Eliminator. It was factory rated 427 lb ft @ 3,200 rpm and 320 hp @ 4,600 rpm. which would work great in a truck with those torque numbers. I have done extensive engine and head work along with a big flat tappet cam which has moved those numbers higher up in the rpm range now I’m sure. It sure sounds better than my Ecoboost72259A60-B7F2-4215-92B9-15DF95A702B9.jpeg FC4E4C8D-1672-407F-BF4C-843C5820B0AF.jpeg as far as mean sounding goes.