Jerking/Skipping around 1500 RPM's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bwbw80

Reaction score
I own a 2014 Ford Expedition that has recently had a jerking/skipping feeling. I notice it only in certain gears though (3rd or 4th) around 1500 RPM's. As an example, if I am accelerating to merge onto a highway and hit this gear at this RPM, it will jerk one or many times until my RPM's move beyond that range.

My first gut feel was transmission, but I am reading more that it may be spark plugs, coil packs, or even the catalytic converter. I know we had a misfire punching it on the interstate recently, so was aiming to get plugs and coil pack replaced soon. But if it is more than that, I am not sure I want to drop that amount of cash on repairs and just look for a newer vehicle.

Any other experiences similar that were not one of these non-transmission issues?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you have a code reader so you can check for any DTC codes from the OBDII port ? If you have a laptop, ForScan is a free downloadable program specifically for Fords.

Download ForScan Here

shoro60

Reaction score
I have a 2010 Limited that experienced the exact thing you described. I experienced a misfire, so took it in to have everything looked at. I had the transmission serviced because I didn't see a service record for that from the previous owner and nothing was found wrong. Ultimately, it was bad coil packs. I had them all changed and spark plugs too. So far, nothing but smooth sailing since.

OP
OP
B

bwbw80

Reaction score
I put a code reader on, no codes are throwing.

I may just move forward with changing coil packs and plugs since I know the vehicle is due for that anyways. Thanks all.

Frank Wilson

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I put a code reader on, no codes are throwing.

I may just move forward with changing coil packs and plugs since I know the vehicle is due for that anyways. Thanks all.
Misfires won't necessarily throw codes. I had misfires and only saw it in real-time using forscan.
Trainmaster is right about the coils.
Check your plugs.

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Need a better code reader, not auto zone/advance, good shop will read it with expensive reader. Light will not activate until the missfires are numerous. Do not wait or you will have more problems, like the cats.